Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hawkeye oil cooler specs

Old 06-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye oil cooler specs

I have an '06 hawkeye 4x4. It's got 20 hrs/200 miles on it. I want to install an oil cooler, but the Polaris piece is $240. I can get any size cooler for less than $40 and have the lines with fittings made up for about the same. Several questions come to mind. Are there pre-tapped holes for the fittings? Where are they? What size fittings do I need on the hoses? How large a fan will the electrical system support ?
Any other pertinent info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Thom

Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

The fittings are located on the right side of the bike, just behind the oil filter block. These are pipe plugs with hex recesses in them for allen wrenches. I will look again at the instructions for installing the oil cooler on mine. You have to remove the oil cooling block and plug off a hole behind it.

It was not happy with the location of mine as it seemed very vulnerable, so I removed it. I have not ran hot yet without it.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

You use one of the plugs you remove to install the oil lines to plug the hole behind the cooler block. Fairly easy to install, the hardest part is getting your hands in there to mount it up. You will have to remove the front inner fender liners.

I agree it is in a vunerable spot, that is why I made a guard to go in front of mine. IMO with all the bodywork covering the engine trapping the heat in, an oil cooler is a necessity, it definetly can't hurt.

I'm even kicking aroundthe idea about getting a fan from a water cooled quad, and mounting it up behind the oil cooler. I will either mount it up with a thermostat, or simply a switch to run it for a minute or so after I shut it down to help with heat soak.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Check here for fans.

Spal Fans

They have all the fans mounting hardware and wiring that you would need.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

easy job, but beware
I bought the polaris version and installed it on my hawkeye, when i got tothe seccond fitting (using the right tools torq etc)the block cracked so i had to send it to the distributor in the Netherlands, they needed to split the engine block and rebuild it
there it was for abbout four weeks when it was nearly ready they could not start it because they put the distribution chain in wrong and now the timming was off(expertS?)tommorow i am pikking it up.
on the question if if it could be fixed under waranty they replied; it could not.
probbely because I am not a skilled engeneer?
Price ? 1725 euro's (about 2000 to 2100 dollars) aff course the last word has not been said abbout it Oh yeah and by the way the recall wich they could have done?
they did not because the parts missed.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, I am new to this forum, glad
to see other Hawkeye enthusiasts!

Take care,

HKI-D

Old 06-20-2007, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HAUKEYE-DAN

Wow, I am new to this forum, glad

to see other Hawkeye enthusiasts!

Take care,

HKI-D</end quote></div>

Welcome! I personally think the Hawkeye is about the perfect sized atv. Some here knock it, some love it, I'm one of them. It isn't a sport quad, wasn't designed to be, but it will go about anywhere I need/want to go. Only thing I might change is, a 350-400cc motor would be nice. AHEM... aftermarket people!!!

Read the thread about drilling the carb slide. Improves the throttle response ALOT! Easy to do. Also IMO, get the oil cooler. I gets awful hot under all that bodywork.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:41 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

A oil cooler does its job even if you decide not to have it with fan assist. Just the fact that it sends the oil on a tour before comming back to the engine helps alot with disspelling heat in the oil.

Does the Hawkeye have a dry sump engine with a separate oil tank? If so the oil tank also acts like a oil cooler in a way.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

No dry sump on the Hawkeye.

The reason I would like to go with a fan on the oil cooler is all the body work surrounding the engine, even WITH a cooler it traps alot of heat inside. While you're moving it circulates fresh/cool air in, but sitting still, or moving slowly on trails it simply sits there and bakes in it's own heat. Then when you shut it down you have heatsoak problems.

Maybe I'm being **** about it, but hey I love to tinker with stuff.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

today i piked my hawkeye up at the dealer, it got back from distributor for the Netherlands were its was repaired??? after installing a oil cooler myself.

just a few of my problems I encounterd

1 the horn was no longer operational (had to reconnect the wire's)
2 it did no longer run idle (had to adjust the idle screw)
3 the best part after they (the experts) had done there work, a simple job of look at the pictures and find the diferences, they forgot to put in the hex screw under the standard oil cooler, so the oil runs the shortest posible way and believe it or not, that is not thru the external oil cooler.(so the oil has to be drained again and the original oil cooler disconnected than the hexnut in and everything back in place and refill with oil)

Oh and by the way, did I mention that the repair could not be done under waranty because I'm not a qualified technician???????????????????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hawkeye oil cooler specs