Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 800 X2

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 800 X2

Here's the deal. I am about to buy my first atv. I have ridden many but never owned one myself. I have test rode the 800 Sportsman and love the entire package. The only thing is that my wife wants me to get the X2 model. Does anyone on here have this model. Is the handling much different or anything else? I have yet to find a dealer near me that has one put together or in stock. Thanks guy and gals. This seems to be the best forum I have found on the ATV scene.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Range Rover
Default Sportsman 800 X2

I have a 500X2 HANDS DOWN better handling than my 700Griz. That extra 12 inches on the wheelbase make a WORLD of difference.....Still love the Grizz though too. I feel the X2 is a lot more stable over off-camber rough and rocky terrain....

Old 06-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Default Sportsman 800 X2

I like to know how it does in the Mud Bogging scene. I
don't see the double seat Quads (Popo X2's/TRV) in any of those Triangle
Boyz videos, but then again maybe they know NO one who
has them.

R'

Old 06-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sportsman 800 X2

Thanks guys. I plan on ordering in the next month or two. Pretty much made up my mind on the 800 X2. I'll let ya know how the mudding is. I will diffently find some.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sportsman 800 X2

ive seen a couple in our area and i can tell you the bombie dont do as well as the x2's do in the mud. not sure if its ground clearance or softer suspenion but they seem to bottom out more w/ 2 on it.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sportsman 800 X2

I really don't plan on riding two in the mud or in difficult terrain. We can ride them all over town where I live, so the main reason for the X2 is the fact the wife or kids can ride legally. The police seem to stop all the sport quads when there is two on them. Just covering all my bases.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Default Sportsman 800 X2

Whats the price diff between the Deluxe 800
and 800 X2? Does the X2's come with
a winch? Not sure about the Mud bogging
again but as for the normal hunting thing
I think it would be a better quad for that
but I don't know, my 450 is hard enough
just getting thru the narrow pines can't
imagine a X2? But its impressive looking,
strange I don't see too many X2 owners posts
on this forum, maybe cause of the costs?

R'

Old 06-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Sportsman 800 X2

To answer the mud bogging question, I've gone through some nasty terrain that ALMOST stopped me. These were mudholes with about 8"-12" of mud covered with 12"-20" water. The worst ones were really grabbing the stock tires and just about stopped me cold. The X2 is very good in the mud. You're not as likely to get bucked off by that submerged rock you didn't see because of the longer wheelbase. A little less effective ground clearance than the regular Sportsman, but it also rides better too. Kind of like the difference in ride between a short wheel base pickup and a crew cab. I've gone through mudholes with about 9"-11" of mud alone and had no problems to speak of. Had to saw the steering back and forth here and there. Can't wait until the stock tires wear out...

Old 06-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Sportsman 800 X2

take the wifeys advice.. get the x2 you wont be sry. i have an 06 sp800 and also a 07 sp 800x dlx. if you are allowed to ride on the streets you will love the turfmode option. (opens your differential in the rear) no more hard turning. the x2 is about 8inches longer than the sp800 but in my opion it rides nicer than the sp800 also it holds 6 gallons of FUEL ..AND I LOVE THAT FEATURE.the x2 is alot more roomy plenty of space for my dogs to ride w/me. i like both my sportsman800s but the x2 is my favorite by far

Old 06-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sportsman 800 X2

The 07 800X2 Deluxe is my first quad. What I can tell you is this thing handles awesome at all speeds. I noticed right away mine doesn't have the wheelie that the regular 800 has but the longer wheelbase surly has an impact. I got 60 MPH on a sand trail. I have not been able to test speed on hard packed yet but I would guess 65+. I'm not a mudder so no input yet on that topic. I have ridden tight trails and was able to navigate as well as a Griz. I do use a 1-inch piece of foam on the rear seat cushion to add more comfort. This gets it closer to the front seat comfort. I will be looking into different rear springs to get more travel out of the suspension. I wish Polaris had adjustable springs on the rear of this quad. The fuel consumption is much better that I thought it would be. No problems with six gallons on board. There is also plenty of storage on the X2 between the front box and the rear dump box. I am very satisfied with this quad and would say one a 1-10 it gets a 8 due to the non adjustable rear springs and the comfort of the rear seat. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 800 X2