Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 Problem

I am really hoping that someone can help me out with this. I joined the board because the local dealership is stumped. I was driving my 98 Sporsman 500, and stopped to talk to a neighbor. While sitting there, the ATV just died. I tried starting it, and nothing. I figured that I was out of gas, so I filled it up and nothing. Then I thought that I may have sucked crap into the carb, took it apart and it was clean. From there, I took it to a friend, he couldn't figure it out, but thought it had a weak spark. I decided to take it to the dealership,,, they once again went through the carb, cleaned out the tank, checked the coil and reported back to me that they were 99% sure that it was the stator. So they ordered one,, put it on,,, and still nothing!!!! I will run and idle for about 15 seconds,,, but then dies just like that. The carb is clean and it is getting fuel. I am up to about a $700 bill at the dealer and they are about ready to give up........SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!@!!!!!
Thanks in advance,

BigHenry

Old 07-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you have weak spark, it can be from:

1 - bad spark plug
2 - bad stator
3 - bad coil/coil wire
4 - bad wiring from stator to coil
5 - bad ground

I am sure there are other factors for bad spark, but I am not as technically advanced as other on this board.

Did your dealership test the coil wire and the ground? I understand that the plug grounds to the engine, but the engine needs to ground to the frame. What kind of condition are your wires between the coil and stator in?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

..... I forgot to add that we changed the plug, and tried a different coil. If we had a bad ground on the engine, wouldn't we have a problem with the starter turning over?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Range Rover

A bad main ground (the cable from the battery to the engine/chassis) would absolutely affect the starter. However, the ground wire for the fan wouldn't affect the starter. I haven't checked mine but I think they (polaris) switch the ground wire to power the fan. So, if the wire between the fan & thermo-switch (temp sensor) gets shorted to the chassis/engine,,, the fan will run all the time. Electrical problem can be a major PITA if you haven't had the pleasure of trouble shooting them. I've been an electronic tech almost 20 years and my hobby is restoring old cars. So, I've got a bit of experience with wiring problems and I still run into some that require a cold beverage or 2,,, ha ha.

A multimeter will make finding the problem easier if you have one and are familiar with it. Let me know what your experience level is with these sort of things and I'll help you as much as I can. Again, I'm not an expert on these but I'm sure they didn't do anything that I haven't seen. I'll try and find a wiring diagram on line. If anyone know's a site that has one,,, let me know.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Try hooking a jumper cable from the engine to the (-) battery terminal (maybe do this for giggles to see if it runs any better). Have you checked the timing? How many hours are on the engine?

Old 07-06-2007, 02:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I took off my recoil starter cover knowing I had muddy water in there because it gets by the pull rope's handle and into the housing. I was horrified to find out that that cover is all that protects the expensive stator, pulse coil ,fly wheel and Bendix drive from water. I had to sand the fly wheel and pules coil contacts of rust to get a strong spark back.

I would check there.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I still haven't gotten anywhere on this subject..... Just got off the phone with the dealer and they are running out of options. We have a good ground, tried a different carb, checked timing, replaced all electrical equipment, disconnected all safety over rides...... Still nothing!!! The dealer has a hard time getting it to start.... when it does start it will run for a while and then quit, sometimes he can rev it up before it dies.............HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Trailblazer

What about the vacumn fuel pump, The dealer could have tested the stator before they sold you on another one! have you tested your black box? it contains your voltage regulator and other things what about the solenoid. It sounds like your charging system cuz i believe your bikes ignition system runs off the stator and not the battery, Check the timing when it starts does it start easy or hard blow any smoke... When it dies does it sound like it is running out of gas or just die!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Range Rover

i would check the cam i was at the dealer today and the head tech showed me a cam that he just replaced out of a 500 and the exhaust lobe was flat and he said it would start then die similiar to your problem

Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

I had a similar problem last summer, Idleing then just quit. I changed the plug checked fuel, no spark and i figured it was a coil so i took it to the dealer.
They told me a very common problem with the 500's ,not sure if your year is included but, the spark plug wire is routed under the tank and pinches. The wire is seperate from the coil, cost me about $12.00. fine since then.
Deer killer

Quick Reply: Sportsman 500 Problem