Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

IRS suspension lock-out

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS suspension lock-out

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>You don't need a sway bar if you have a good suspension system and set it up properly, with correct tire pressures and preload settings. </end quote></div>

I disagree-- the sway bar is about roll stiffness. If you achieve the desired roll stiffness without the sway bar, then of course, it is not needed. For example, mounting stiffer shocks closer to the wheel than the suspension pickup points.

If you choose to move the shocks inward close to the suspension pickup points, then you have a better mechanical advantage on the shock, but need a sway bar to control the roll stiffness.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with CaptainQuint. I looked at Kolpin's website and it doesn't really explain it, but if you lock the two a-arms together that would severly hinder the compression of the arms. I wouldn't leave it on for regular riding, though. I'd end up ripping it off on a rock or stump in no time.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: duffus

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>You don't need a sway bar if you have a good suspension system and set it up properly, with correct tire pressures and preload settings. </end quote></div>

I disagree-- the sway bar is about roll stiffness. If you achieve the desired roll stiffness without the sway bar, then of course, it is not needed. For example, mounting stiffer shocks closer to the wheel than the suspension pickup points.

If you choose to move the shocks inward close to the suspension pickup points, then you have a better mechanical advantage on the shock, but need a sway bar to control the roll stiffness.</end quote></div>

Sway bars offer stability, most stability on the machine comes from the rear. If your suspension is set up properly you don't need a sway bar. It is about weight transfer while negotiating a turn. If you lessen the transfer to the front and outside during a turn then it will handle without the assistance of a sway bar. I am not saying that sway bars are all bad I am only saying that they take away more other benefits from the machine than what they contribute. And if you can set up your suspension properly then you can have the other benefits and still have good handling without the sway bar. I am not going to go in great detail to explain all the goes on while turning because it is quite long and I did a post in the Arctic Cat forum about all that with tire pressures, preloads and weight transfers. Point being is that you can get just as good handling without a sway bar if you know what adjustments to do and how to do it. Most riders don't know how and that is why some factories will put on a sway bar, because it is a quick fix for an improperly set up suspension system, which offers more margin for error of not having the adjustments correct. It is almost a fool proof way of getting decent handling even if other settings are off a little. But if the other settings are correct then you don't really need one. And without one you get way more benefits from the IRS. In a nut shell a sway bar is making the machine more close to a SRA than an IRS, you lose most of the benefits of the IRS.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

I have something similar on my quad, i ordered it from polaris.
It does lock out the rear suspension. I use it when hauling implements on the rear of the machine. It essentially turns it into a solid axis ride but with out any shocks. The ride is rough but i wouldn't be able to do much work with out it.
It dismounts with two pins in about a minute if i don't want it, I haven't been restricted with ground clearence at all. I think i paid $100.00 from the dealer. I have the part number if anyone needs it. It is welded from 1/4" square tube steel.
Deerkiller

Old 07-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: buckaroo50

You don't need a sway bar if you have a good suspension system and set it up properly, with correct tire pressures and preload settings. It is all about weight transfer and a sway bar is nothing more than a short cut for a poorly equipped suspension system. And in most cases it takes more benefits away than it adds.

One of the best Utility machines in the corners is a Suzuki Eiger (SRA). I have seen an IRS keep up and actually pass an Eiger in the corner. (but the IRS was setup properly too - both were 400 engines - so it was't the engine overpowering the Eiger).</end quote></div>

Next time you are under your SUV try taking off your sway bar and go for a drive. Then tell me your personal vehicle is equiped with a "POORLY EQUIPPED SUSPENSIONS SYSTEM" Then drive down to a Porshe dealer and tell them they have a "POORLY EQUIPPED SUSPENSIONS SYSTEM" on their cars with sway bars front and rear that "takes more benefits away than it adds"

Just because you are a Cat guy and your bike doesn't have a swaybar doesn't mean that no sway bar is better

Now I'm not saying a swaybar is the best for all conditions, but for all but rock crawlers a swaybar is benifitial