Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Sportsman Paper Air Filter??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 Sportsman Paper Air Filter??

Well did anybody out there get a Part number for a Paper air filter from NAPA or Fram yet??

The Canadian Price is Crazy........I need to dish out around $35.00 each plus Tax here........for each 450.SP.........

I tried a few times back in May BUT.... no numbers were found then?

Thanks...........Caper...........

Old 08-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Caper, why don't you go the K&N route? You can just wash them at the end of the day, dry overnite and reinstall in the morning. I went that route on all my machines cuz it is so dusty where I go riding. For a Sporty 700 or 800 the paper ones cost $18 each. I can blow through one in a day up there when it is really dry and I'm not the leader of the pack. The K&N costs around 3 times that but in the long run saves me lots of time and cash.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:43 PM

No K&N for me..............I really don't think they stop all the fine particle that the paper ones do!!!

Sure for a car/truck on the road.........I say yes....But not for me on the trails.............
I say the paper filters stop way more than the Foam or aftermarket do..........

More air-flow in my view = less restriction = less protection!!!

That's why I use Paper.......Don't need to be Polaris though.......Just paper!!!!!...........

Looking for a Napa or Fram Number though.........May not be out yet!!!!!.............Caper.........

Old 08-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you dont think your mesh cover on your filter stops enough of the dust and then blow out or tap out the paper filter? i clean the mesh once in awhile and tap out the dirt, if any, and reuse w/out any problems. i agree w/ the k&n statement you made as well so illl stick to the stockers.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:29 PM

Yes the outer works well and I will keep using it.............I have about 1400 miles on mine and still the same factory paper air filter!!!...........I think it's time to replace very soon, I can't keep blowing it out for ever.......LOL........Caper........

Old 08-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have been running the K & N for a long time now and have never experienced a problem. I run the Popo pre filter over it and it seems to deliver a little bit more punch than the paper. What problems have you seen from the after market ones? All of my bikes have had the K & N and have not suffered any problems as of yet.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

micro dust tends to get thru the aftermarket filters more then the stock paper and gets in the engine and wears the rings out quicker. i think maybe the outer filter is the best help as it stops alot of the dirt.

Trending Topics

Old 08-21-2007, 04:09 PM

Yes I agree..........I will give up that tiny, little, bitty, gain to have the TOTAL protection!!!.......

I also think with the outer filter there is no real need for a high flow K&N under it.......When you buy a aftermarket air filter why cover it up with a outer ware?????for protection???? YES then why the high flow in the first place????.....................Caper...........

Old 08-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

To tell you the truth, I don't really know. Both of the dealers I deal with said the set up they recommend is the K & N and the stock prefilter. I don't think the prefilter really restricts much in the way of air flow. I guess for me, I never keep a bike long enough to where out rings. Probably a pretty expensive fix if it gets that far.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:30 PM

Your right the pre-filter will not restrict that much air flow......................

So the pre-filter is not restricting air-flow and the K&N produces more air flow(less restriction)........So where is the protection?...........This in my book is not stopping the fine particle........That's my view though......

I know with my stock paper filter........The pre-filter does not stop very much.........It's the main paper filter that I need to clean all the time...........Caper.........

Quick Reply: 2006 Sportsman Paper Air Filter??