Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

trailblazer keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailblazer keeps dying

my uncle has a '00 trailblazer 250 and it keeps dying on him. I've cleaned out the carb and put in a new plug. the plug helped a lot at first but now its doing it again. we will ride for a while and it'll do fine but every once in a while it'll die when he has to slow down to go up a ditch and it takes a bit to get it started back up. it'll do this this too it he stops and let's it idle for more than say 2 minutes. what could be the problem?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

i use to have an 03 trailblazer 250 and it was bran new and if i would putt around it would do what you are describing what can ya say its a 2 - stroke

Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

but its never done it before. just started the last time we went out. it did on the trail and it took us about 30 minutes to get it started back up. then the plug had fouled and had a bunch of carbon built up on it. got home and put in a new plug (we were idiots and didn't bring along a spare). it fired right up with the new plug and has been running good just going around my shop until today. it rained so we figured we would get muddy. it died again and took us about 10 minutes to get it started back. would a partially clogged filter do this? haven't changed it in a long while.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

clogged filter can choke out the motor but it should not make it not start up for another 30 minutes i would clean or replace the filter and see what it does

Old 08-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

well, just got off the phone with my uncle (its his tb). he bought it brand new in 2000 and has never changed the fuel and oil filters! is the oil filter on these things the same as the fuel filter? they both look the same.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like it is time for a fresh topend.What kind of compression does it have cold and again when hot?

Old 08-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider

that was next on my list. I'm gonna do a compression check this weekend on it.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it running to rich?
Check the air filter
Clean the carb
make sure exhaust is ok

Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

its not running rich or anything. i've turned up the idle on it and it helped some. would having a dead battery in it do this? he bought a new battery for it but its bad so we are having to pull start right now.when it gets started up and warms ups little, it has plenty of power. so no power loss at all. any other suggestions?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

well, got a new battery for it now and I also did a compression check. I got 80 when cold and 78 when it was warmed up some. is that good or bad? if its bad, then anything I can do to bring up the compression without a fresh top end? I'm thinking the oil filter is clogged so I'm gonna pull it and see. maybe its not getting enough oil. the new plug I put in only has maybe an hour on it and its already carbon fouled. what's causing this? one other thing, when it dies, I can crank it over with the starter and it takes a while to start. but if I turn it over with the starter for a few seconds, and the use the pull cord, it'll fire right up! wth? help!!!!

Quick Reply: trailblazer keeps dying