Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

95 Polaris 300 4x4 reverse problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1995 Polaris 300 4x4 that will not continuously run in reverse. When reverse is engaged it will stall unless the override button is depressed. When the button is released it will stall. When depressed it is pouring too much fuel into the carburator and hardy has enough power to roll back and even back fires sometimes. I believe that is it the wiring but cannot narrow down exactly what the problem is. Thanks for any help

Old 01-02-2001, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the rev limiter is goofed up. Possibly, but not likely, the throttle cable has too much slack, and the etc is confusing it. Cheapest fix I can think of offhand would be to bypass the override, but if you do that be very careful when backing up.

Old 01-02-2001, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

What exactly does the ETC do? It is on my wiring diagram, and it is next in line with the override switch. My transmission switch is good, and the override switch is good. The next safety inline with the etc is the rev limiter. Do you know if the rev limiter stops giving the engine spark if it senses a problem? When the problem occurs, it seems like the engine is getting too much fuel and not enough spark. This makes it run like it's bogged down.
According to my manual, there is a red/white wire and white wire to the ETC switch. If it is normal, they aren't continous. The white wire then goes to the speed limiter, the CDI unit, and then the CDI trigger coil. I don't know what CDI stands for, but I'm assuming it controls the ignition. Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot the CDI unit and the speed limiter before replacing parts?

Old 01-03-2001, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

varda,

i tell ya what, take a chain, secure it to your hitch, get an arctic cat, hook the chain on the ac's hitch, get on the ac, give the ac some throttle, and there you have it----full reverse.
chuckle, chuckle, chuckle.

just thought i'd poke a little fun, no offense intended. good luck on solving your problem sorry i couldn't and didn't help.

better go, nyquil just kicked in.

happy new year,
a groggy texascat.

Old 01-03-2001, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 95 Trail Blazer an the part that gose back is the revs limiter box an if unhooked it will run fine the differnts is the saftys don't work like if the throughtle get stuff wide open. CDI stands for Capasity Discharge Igntion. When you look in the front where all the wires are there is a Black flat square box with a piece of aluminum running across the top where it is bolted on with around 5 wires coming out. To see if it is what is wrong disconcet the white wire. an see if it still has the problem.I hope this helps you

Old 01-03-2001, 07:12 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with Farmr123. A quick and easy modification on older Polaris is to "override" the override button. I have this done on my 96 X400. It gives full power to the rear wheels and AWD without pressing the override button. It then frees up the button for other accessories.

If you are looking for the process just drop me a line . . . I think I have it saved in Word format somewhere.

Old 01-03-2001, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

The ETC stands for electronic throttle control. What it is are electrical contacts in the throttle housing. If you take the top cover off you should see them there. The way they work is if for some reason you have the throttle stick, like if it were to freeze or something, is to cut the spark to the engine so it doesn't run out of control. If you open the throttle, hold the cable somehow to keep the throttle open, then release the throttle lever, the contacts should connect, cutting spark. Sometimes if there is too much slack in the throttle cable (it will stretch over time) the contacts will connect even if the throttle works normally. On some machines (I wish I could remember which ones) holding the override button will allow you to keep going and make it home, should the ETC malfunction and the throttle works properly.

The rev limiter should only work in reverse. If your bike runs fine forward, but badly in reverse, except when you hold the override button, there may be something wrong with it. Keep in mind that you should only be able to go backwards 5 to 7 MPH without holding the override button before the rev limiter cuts the spark. If it does this, there is likely nothing 'broken', just at worst, an over-active rev limiter. If it stalls the engine completely, it may be grounded out somehow, or the ETC is out of adjustment, causing it to stall.

The simplest and by far cheapest fix would be to bypass the override button. Simply connect the two wires that go to the button together to get the effect of having the button held down all the time. If it seems to run OK after that, you solved the problem, just remember you can now go backwards 30 MPH if you peg the throttle!!! Someone in the forum has very nice directions written up on how to do this, so I will save a lot of typing & see if they can get the file to you.

CDI stands for capacitor discharge ignition. You are right, it is basically the ignition control.
Good luck & feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

Old 01-04-2001, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

VARDA;
I HAVE A COPY OF HOW TO OVERRIDE THE REVERSE BOTTON. I COULD MAKE A COPY AND MAIL IT TO YOU. LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT ME TO!!

EXPLORERATVER
98'300 XPLORER 4X4
48" POLARIS PLOW

Old 01-04-2001, 02:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

VARDA
I FOUND THE PLACE I GOT MY INFO. FROM, JUST GO TO ANY POST FROM FLOODRUNNER. CLICK ON HIS PICTURE LINK, THEN GO TO THE FOLDER "ATV ODDS AND ENDS" ALL THE INFO. YOU NEED IS THERE. IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE I CAN STILL MAKE COPIES. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Old 01-04-2001, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Cut the wire to the rev limiter, the problem will be gone, but so will the rev limiter. I had the "exact" same problem with our '95 300 4x4 several years ago.

Quick Reply: 95 Polaris 300 4x4 reverse problem