Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

k&n airfilter at high altitude/to much air?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k&n airfilter at high altitude/to much air?

met a guy on an atv jambori that was having problems at high altitude keeping his quad running..it would start run for a minute and die this was going over a mtn. pass at about 10k anyway to make a long story short. the same guy was in my group of riders a few days later.i asked him if he figured out his previous problem.he told me yes and said the problem at high altitude was caused by his k&n airfilter..apparentely the better breathing k&n filter was causing a problem by confusing his efi computer and it wasnt adjusting for the extra airflow. he switched back to stock filter and bike ran fine over the mtn. passes. i was wondering if anyone has ever herde of this or had this problem.also i should mention that it wasnt a polaris the guy was riding. it was a honda rancher or maybe a forman? i was thinking of putting k&n on my bike but now im not sure because i often ride over 10-12k mtn. passes

Old 08-24-2007, 12:10 PM
2TV
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k&n airfilter at high altitude/to much air?

Actually in theory too much air is not an issue as you are ascending. The higher up you go, the more air you need to keep the fuel / air mixture at the proper ratio if the rate of fuel delivery does not change. One way to compensate is to change to a smaller jet (less fuel to go along with less air) at higher altitudes (for carburetor equipped units). Another way is to increase the air flow to keep the fuel / air mixture the same when the fuel delivery rate has not changed (no jetting change). However on a FI unit (depending on the computer / sensor setup) I can see where changing the airflow rate can confuse the fuel / air mixture computation...