Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

FINALLY got to the bottom of The "break in" oil issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FINALLY got to the bottom of The "break in" oil issue!!!

Okay here's a brief summary of my problem: I just bought a brand new '07 Sportsman 700EFI. I noticed that the oil in the engine was thicker and yellow in color....not thin and green like Polaris Premium 4 synthetic 0w-40 should be. So I immediately changed the oil and filter, and added two quarts of Polaris Premium 4 synthetic 0w-40. THEN I realized that I might have just goofed, and that maybe the thicker yellow oil was a special "break in" oil, and that it was SUPPOSED to be in there. So i called three different dealers, and they all said that I did the right thing, that this ATV SHOULD have Polaris Premium 4 synthetic 0w-40 in it right from the beginning, and that there is no "break in" oil needed. Then I read a few posts here, and guys like Scrammytodd and othere said that yes, you DO need non-synthetic break in oil, because like in an automobile, the rings will not seat in with synthetic oil. So I went right to the source......My dealer put me in contact with Polaris Industries. I talked to a Polaris engineer.....one of the guys that designs polaris engines. He said that some of the 700 EFI engines are "Fuji" engines that are built over seas, and they come from the factory with Polaris Premium 4 Synthetic 0w-40, and other 700 EFI engines are built in America, and these engines come from the factory with another SYNTHETIC 0w-40..... One that is yellow in color. He said that I did no harm because the two oils are completely interchangable, and that NO BREAK IN OIL IS USED. There it is, right from the horses mouth. I still can't understand why you need to break in a car engine with non-synthetic oil, but not a Polaris ATV engine. Go figure.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default FINALLY got to the bottom of The "break in

i was always told that right from brand new factory oil was 100% synth because of the tight tolences. most parts were in the first few times that it run. i know watching engine builders put a prelube on the parts when they put one together as when its first started there is no lubercation on any of the parts beside the prelube thewy put on so the parts dont start w/ major friction. i know after my first oil change on any new products i always go to synt for better lub. under cold start ups and slippy parts.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FINALLY got to the bottom of The "break in

I had the same issue with my hawkeye fuji engine, Ow-50 12$ per quart, the reason being is the supertight Tolerances like Stendori says.