Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Norman New Guy checking in

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norman New Guy checking in

Hello to all,
I am new to this sport, and I am contemplating the purchase of a new Sportsman ATV. This will be my 1st ATV, and I know nothing about them, so let me introduce my problems.
This started off with me looking for a used Sportsman, but in my area there are really none to be had that is decent and low miles. If I do find one, they are running around $4500. A friend recommended looking at a new one due to the Polaris incentives.
I take my wife to the local dealer, and she notices the 2007 Sportsman X2 800. Immediately falls in love for the safety of being able to ride 2 up comfortably. There are none to be had that are used! When I seen the price, I figure this is out of my price range. A friend tells me of a dealer that has the standard model X2 800cc on sale for $6200 out the door. Quick look around and that seems like a killer deal since I am not into the fancy wheels due to this just being a cruiser for 2 middle aged people in open pastures.
So my quest has taken me from a used 450-500cc Sportsman to a new 800 X2. I am leary on such a big ride but the friend says for that price you can ride 1-2 years and resell and probably be close to even.

So, I was wondering what anybody thinks about the Sportsman X2? I have another friend who say's Kawasaki is the only way to go, and Polaris is not that good of an ATV. Wifey loves the flip up seat, I think the price is right, but I am a little gun shy about Polaris and quality control issues. Yet another friend used to be the service manager at a Polaris dealer and he said the early ones did have alot of problems, but he has not been in the business for 6 years and he thinks Polaris has greatly improved the ATV line.

Sorry for the long story, but I need to move quick on this quad to get that price. Please give me the pro's and con's of the Polaris 800.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

I just purchased a new 2007 800 X2 Deluxe and my wife and I are quite happy with it. We got the Deluxe because of the extra features like ADC (active descent control), a winch and of course the nicer wheels. If you added all those features to the standard it would cost more than the Deluxe. You might as well bite the bullet and get the higher end model, you won't be sorry later. Unless you stick to groomed trails, sooner or later you'll need the winch, big downhills and the ADC is well worth it.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

I guess my problem is the price. For $6200 that just seems like a no-brainer. We are new to this, and have only a farm to ride on as there are no trails even close to us. Wifey thinks this is a good way to start and if we like it and get serious about it then we could sell this outright in a year or two and recoup our money and use that to trade up to the deluxe model.
Unfortunately, there are no smoking hot deals on the deluxe X2 like there is on the standard. I don't care for the black and silver paint, and just love the blue X2 deluxe. But she has the checkbook and doesn't want to jump into unknown waters full bore!!
I am sure most of us guys have been down the wifey path!

Old 09-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

I had some serious problems with my first 07 800 deluxe but my new one has been a great machine. I think you will really like the bike and at $6200 you really can't go wrong. 800 is a mighty big bike for your first one. They do make the x2 in a 500 as well that would save you some cash. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

I've rode a few different brands of atv's and I bought a polaris. mine is a '03 sportsman 700 that I bought used and other than a few maintenance items I've done nothing to it but ride. have you looked at the rangers or rzr's?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

The 800 is a very good trail quad and work bike. it will push snow, pull trailers and move 2 people plus gear aroud with ease. you'll be very happy with the bike. if it was a small bike, I'd recommend the kawi. Polaris big bore bikes appear fairly well built. I have a couple.
The engine brake [ADC] is a great feature on hilly terrain. The winch is to pull others out with. it saves wear and tear on your drivebelts instead of using the engine and drivetrain to pull them out with. Let us know if you buy it.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Range Rover

The 800 is a very good trail quad and work bike. it will push snow, pull trailers and move 2 people plus gear aroud with ease. you'll be very happy with the bike. if it was a small bike, I'd recommend the kawi. Polaris big bore bikes appear fairly well built. I have a couple.
The engine brake [ADC] is a great feature on hilly terrain. The winch is to pull others out with. it saves wear and tear on your drivebelts instead of using the engine and drivetrain to pull them out with. Let us know if you buy it.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is my second 800 (both reg) and ive had pretty good luck w/ them. its kinda of a big cc to start out w/ but for the price you cant go wrong and you'll love the power and ride. if you haul heavy loads around the farm make sure to use low range to make it easier on the belt.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds like an excellent price. I've had 3 Sportsman's and they have all been great and fairly trouble free. The ride is very comfortable, and lots of power from the 800. Don't think you could go wrong.