Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to Polaris.......Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Polaris.......Help!

I just picked up a 97 Trail Boss 250 for free (well I helped him move) Anyway, i washed the atv and it actually looks real good cosmetically so I might try to get it going. The atv hasn't run in approx 3 years. He had some stuff done to it (new chain, new speedo, new brakes, new battery) and 3 weeks after he got it out of the shop, something happened and it wouldn't go forward. He said it would only go in reverse. It supposedly ran fine in reverse!!! Any body have any ideas on it only going backwards???

Also, like is said, the atv hasn't run in 3 years. He hasn't found the key yet so I haven't tried to crank it. If it does crank and runs, would it be ok to run it like that? I guess i could do a compression check and let that be a guide!

Any help on the only going backwards would be great for now. THANKS!

Old 09-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wouldnt even try to start it until you drain the gas and replace, and completely take carb apart and clean to make sure no varnish build up. maybe the shifting fork in tranny is bent or unhooked. could be easy or hard.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:29 AM
Range Rover

dont forget to change oil also, unless its mixed gas i guess.not to familar with ride but yes shifiting forks or linkage is bad. could have burned clutch plates out also. only reverse is strange

Old 09-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

I would pre oil the cylinders for sure.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

Cleaning the carb was a given. The air filter / air box had been removed for some time and a lot of crap is in the carb. I've already removed it and will disassemble and clean this week.

Looking at a parts diagram for this model, the primary suspects to me are the shifter assembly(part that linkage hooks to) or the shifter shaft/fork.

I'll probably do a top-end on the engine since I've got nothing in the atv. I've rode/work on dirt-bikes most of my life so the work doesn't phase me. I'm just new to Polaris so I'm asking if anyone else had similar problem and what the results were. Although I've had an Artic Cat for years, I've never had to do more to it than replace brake pads so working on this Polaris will be a new adventure! Any more ideas/suggestions as to "backwards only" tranny problem are certainly welcomed. Advice from current owners makes up for the lack of
polaris experience on my part.

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would a compression test first to see it even needs a top end. if you do a search on the tranny problem, i beleave you'll find alot of post on repairing it.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

What happens when you disconnect the linkage and attempt to shift it by moving the shift shaft manually? Those linkages can go bad, I have to replace the bell knuckle on the TB and the shift lever on the Scrammy, so that is not to uncommon.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

I haven't tried! I'll do that when I get home. The ATV is not running currently but I should be able to notice whether or not it is engaging in each selection. I'll let you know.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Range Rover

OK....................moving the shift shaft by hand, there are 3 indents. The idents don't feel as "defined" as I thought they would, not a lot of seperation between. (F-N-R, of course the reverse is farthest towards the front of tranny). I put it in reverse, rotate the clutch by hand(counter clockwise) and the wheels turn backwards. I shift the tranny in neutral AND forward, rotate the clutch and the wheels turn backwards. So, Shift shaft broken? shifter fork broken? No matter what position, it's not shifting out of reverse.

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

I find it hard to believe that the actual shift shaft is broken. That think is a solid piece of steel. But since you state that the idents dont seem very defined it is possible. The forks on the shift shaft are thick and square so again it would take a lot to brake one.

When shifting it manually can you hear and feel the shaft actually catching and turning? I know on mine you definately hear and feel it?