Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Electrical light mod for small 4-wheelers

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical light mod for small 4-wheelers

I have a 90 sportsman and a 50 scrambler for my son and daughter. Neither have working headlights and they very much want to have some for riding in low light.

I bought a cheap set of lights from ebay and installed them on the 90. They work great but maybe i have them wired wrong because after a couple of days of riding the battery is now drained and it will not start by electric starter.

Do these 4-wheelers have enough juice to run a small set of lights?

I wired the lights to the switch so that when the key is on, the lights are on. I plan to wire in a switch so that they can be turned off during day riding. Will this help or is there just simply not enough juice to keep the battery charged when they are on?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

I would assume that there just isn't enough juice for lights on those little bikes. If you really need lights, put them on a switch so they are only on when needed. Maybe drop it down to one light per bike and see how that goes for you.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not enough juice on the little machines for anything other than a small bulb. I have an E-ton 90 r viper and I put on the optional light kit and the bulbs are the little #194 bulbs that you use in the dash or side marker lights and they do not come on unless its running the stators on theese are small and cant handle anything else.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies.

This is what i was thinking also. I figure there just wasn't enough power to run the lights, but it looks cool on those little machines. I have already planned to wire in a switch so they can only use them when needed. And its not that they will be needing lights all that much anyway. I dont plan on doing much night riding with them. Its mostly that they wanted lights like Daddy's does [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]