Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question about electrics

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about electrics

I had not used my quad for quite some time and when I put the batt in the engine fan started running. It ran until the batt was dead. I charged it and then checked the fluids. It was almost empty so I filled it and when the fluid was high enough to trip the sensor on the engine it blew the ecm and now I have no juice at all except to the fan. Question, what the heck went on and why would it do this even tho last time out it ran fine? It has been in my garage here in arizona (hot) but not started at all. If I plug in the ecm the fan will still run but nothing else. Thank you for any help I might recieve.
jinxed

Old 10-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

There are issues with the ecms. Have your dealer run the vin and see if yours has been checked. They use to test them with a special tester they sent us. Now, if they haven't been checked already, they just replace them. If it's out of warranty, just replace it and everything else will probably work. Call your dealer first and see if there is anything they can do as far as warranty.
There are internal circuit breakers in the ecm as well as other functions and thats probably why you have nothing else. i could run your vin if you want(just don't post it online) and be aware there is contact info, name, etc. that will come up when the vin is run(as well as service bulletins, recalls, etc) If your interested pm me and I will give you the name of the dealership and phone number where I work and you can call if you want me to check if your machine has had the ecm test done or not.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea i know my dealer is replacing ones that are out of warranty w/out to many problems as alot of them were junk.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

yea i know my dealer is replacing ones that are out of warranty w/out to many problems as alot of them were junk.</end quote></div>

A LOT of them were junk. I tested several that came out ok, only to replace it 6 months down the road or so. The new ones are built completely different. Haven't seen any of them fail yet.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

94 Harley, you have a pm. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jinxed

I had not used my quad for quite some time and when I put the batt in the engine fan started running. It ran until the batt was dead. I charged it and then checked the fluids. It was almost empty so I filled it and when the fluid was high enough to trip the sensor on the engine it blew the ecm and now I have no juice at all except to the fan. Question, what the heck went on and why would it do this even tho last time out it ran fine? It has been in my garage here in arizona (hot) but not started at all. If I plug in the ecm the fan will still run but nothing else. Thank you for any help I might recieve.

jinxed</end quote></div>

hey dude u know how damn hot it is here in closed garage is even hotter. It could have melted something out so its grounding out or damn bug could have chewed it. Check ECM like others said but if u down in valley u know its hot it could have melted connector or some easy crap like that

Old 10-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dosceola

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jinxed

jinxed</end quote></div>

hey dude u know how damn hot it is here in closed garage is even hotter. It could have melted something out so its grounding out or damn bug could have chewed it. Check ECM like others said but if u down in valley u know its hot it could have melted connector or some easy crap like that</end quote></div>

Yeah, I know that but my other one was sitting right next to it and never has an issue.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have about the same problem with my 04 sportsman. My second Ecm just took a dump on me and I am looking for ideas before I start replacing expensive parts all the time.
Mine will run, but anytime the battery is hooked up, key on or not the fan will run constantly and when I turn the key on the digital display reads the machine is overheating (even after it has sat overnight.)
The first ecm went in almost the exact same way and I had the local dealership replace it, they claimed everything else was in good shape. I checked all the wiring for shorts and bad connections. I have not ever jump started the machine (in fact when the battery has gone flat I disconnected it before charging)
I am getting awful sick of all the little problems with this machine and if it keeps up it is going down the road. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Dam I,m so glad I do not have this ECM thing, Why did Polaris go to it? Does it have any advantages over the older system?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

caper is on his 3rd emc and i have not had any issues w/ none of the 4 wheelers that have the emc.(knock on wood). did the first one get replaced under warranty? i know certain cerial numbers where being covered.