Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 Sportsman 800

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Sportsman 800

I agree with Stendori. To be quite honest, I thought it was a good idea at the time
and I was trying to tread lightly with the old timers in the hunting club so they wouldn't
complain (yea right, they are worse than a bunch of old women, lol)

I just recently quit, so I don't have to deal with that stuff again. But its true all the
other noises are the factor. It does quite the exhaust sound, no question and maybe at
several hundard yards you have exhaust noise reduction, but if your riding right to your
spot Vs. parking it along the way, its without question that you can jump the deer with
all the noises of our ATV's, its a fact, you can do it by walking and making noises.

BUT I don't want to leave this repy here, I am a hunter too and know there
are LOTS and LOTS of variables/dynamics to hunting, so find your niche,
hunting spot, spot some deer, see where they are running, bait'em if there
are no food sources (corn/soybean/alfafa fields etc.) and see what works
the best. Best wishes and happy hunting!

And to answer the previous post, I haven't put this on my 800, may not either, don't
know? I really didn't notice any power degradation but I am also not a tuner. If
I had this tuned just right and I knew how to gauge all of this then I may know but
I really don't, at least it wasn't noticable, but just my honest observation, others may
have different exp.

Regards,

R'

Old 10-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i used to be a hunter as well and always had them pine(apple)[img]i/expressions/wine.gif[/img] trees where we should have the sitting areas but bringing the atv to the close sots would be out of the question. you might as well be a heater hunter(riding around in the truck) and hope to see one as they will always know your there. good luck and hunting.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea, I agree, also the smells and such
and more trodden ground. Plain and simple
wild game (Deer in my case) are very
intuitive, smart and have keen senses.

The best stealth option is for the hunter to
be as stealth going into his hunting spot and
from I am told any light noises going in Deer
who are bedded down, forget afterawhile that
you are there cuz they have short term memories.
- Only heard that, I don't know how true!

Regards,

R'

Old 10-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very true. Two of the three places I hunt are used to atvs, but I still park about 200 yards away and walk in. At my 3rd place, which we own, I don't even take the atv. I walk about 1000 yards from the ranch house. Even though the deer are used to tractors here and cows, I don't ride the atv's enough there to allow them to get use to hearing or smelling them, so that is why I walk that distance. Anyway, thanks for the replys and it is true about what you said about the "old hunters sounding like old women...LOL." At one of my leases, there are several there that way. LOL......

Old 10-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

The deer are use to hearing and seeing ATVs on my place so it doesn't bother them all that much. You almost have to run them over before they break cover. They see one sitting out in the timber and they just ignore it. A few weeks ago I was sitting on my ATV in the woods and there were 3 does and a buck that walked by me getting as close as about 20 feet from me. Looked at me occasionally just to keep an eye on my but walked along contently grazing and being deer. Close enough to smell them and they didn't seem too concerned.

It is just like tractors and other machinery. If they're use to something it doesn't concern them. It is just like when I put something new out in my backyard, a woodpile, a piece of machinery or a chair or something. The deer are really nervous about it. They take a long time working their way up to the house and then they go about carefully inspecting the new arrival. They'll sniff it and run away and then come back and do it again. It's pretty comical to watch. Once they get use to everything again they'll tromp into the yard like they own the place.