Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Scrambler 98 4x4 Strut issues need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Scrambler 98 4x4 Strut issues need help!

I put new rims and tires on my 98 scambler 4x4 and noticed my LH front wheel barring was shot. Being dumb i went ahead and took it for a test drive around the block just to see how the tires did. Well as we all know what happens next. My front end was fighting me when i was tring to get back to the house. I got home finally and my left front tire was smoking from the connection of the CV joint to the strut. I took it apart before it wielded my parts together on the inside. Well my 4th barring closest to the CV joint was pretty much gone it like feel in pieces when it came out and the strut had a Crack across the part where the brake mounts on. So i bought a new strut and new barrings and some other stuff to replace on the inside.

I got my old strut completly apart but the pivot bolt on the bottom of the strut wont come off for the life of me ive tried everything and it just wont come out. i cant tell on the oem lists on how it comes out.

Does anyone have any idea how i can get this bolt out or will another one come with the new strut i bought?

Old 10-14-2007, 05:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some site's that you can access the part's diagram's on the net , some of the part's dealers who sell new part's for your quad ; one is www.bikebandit.com and there are other's that give a better view of the schematic's but i can't recall any of the other's off hand ! Maybe someone will come up with another site with better view of the part's schematic's for you before i could look for another for you ; just do a search for Polaris part's like www.polarisparts.com and it should bring up a better one than the one i posted above ! Or try doing a search on the polaris forum , i think i know what bolt you're talking about ; if it's the one that i'm talking about i think it might be like the one on a 1993 Suzuki LTF4WD i had a problem with when replacing a right front CV boot ! On the Suzuki i got the bolt out , but i had trouble getting the threads to line up without cross threading them when putting it back in ; because the strut was in a bind that made it almost impossible to get the bolt thread's to line up ! If you have a digtal camera you could take a picture of the part you're having trouble removing the bolt so we could tell for sure , if i can find a better site i will post it to this thread ! .......

Old 10-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

I assume your talking about the ball joint on the bottom of the strut. Do you need to remove it from the a arm or the strut housing? If you need to get it out of the strut housing I'm not sure you will have much luck doing it aside from cutting the aluminum housing apart. There is a special tool used to removed it. It is pressed in the housing. The tool acually pulls on the bolt itself and removes the whole thing.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea the ball joint is the one im talking about. Can i take it to the atv shop and have them pull it then? if i get out how would i put in the new one? just hammer it in?

Old 10-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Your polaris dealership will have the special tools to remove it and install it. The tool for installing it is basically a precision fit driver with a recess for the stud(kinda like a precision fit pipe). I stick the ball joint in the freezer for a while and then just pound it in flush. Reinstall the plate and put the machine back together.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Like the idea of freezing the ball joint to get it in easier.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ftwflh

Like the idea of freezing the ball joint to get it in easier.</end quote></div>

Works wonders for crank bearings too!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

That's what i thought it was , the same problem as my 93' Suzuki 300 KQ ; i had to use a socket and a special set of vice Grip's to press the bolt back in the hole ! The problem i had was that it was on the quad when i did the job , i started out just replacing the CV boot on mine ; like in my first reply i got the bolt out with the new type vice Grip's that's come with a nut in the jaws in the original package ! These new vice Grip jaw's are formed to Grip a nut or bolt head on 4 side's , i used them to grip the bolt head and tapped on the vice Grip's with a small hammer to remove the bolt ; and used another set of special vice Grip's and a socket to press it back in enough for it to slide in the rest of the way to the slot ! This is when the problem with getting the bolt to screw in the threaded side , because the joint was in a bind and didn't want to line up the thread's ; by using a ratcheting tie down strap to put pressure on the strut so the bolt hole thread's would line up right to get the bolt started ! This was my fix , i've heard about freezing the ball joint when replacing them ; but it's kind of hard to put the whole quad in a freezer in my case this wasn't an option ! Good luck getting your quad fixed destrucionofmann ! ...................