Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hawkeye clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye clutch

Has anyone had any trouble with the clutch because of removing the two weights. And has anyone tried the 12 gram weights instead of removing the rollers. Or better yet has anyone experimented with both and what was the difference? I want to mod the clutch but I am a bit concerned about taking out two roller and the balance problems it might cause. If we dont need them why did they put them there? Do these weight have any control over the rpms that the engine will reach it does not seem that mine revs very high. do the hawkeyes have a rtev limiter on them.

Thanks for all the help

Old 10-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye clutch

My '07 has 14 gram weights in it's clutch. I've removed two opposing weights, and it made a BIG difference. I'm thinking about trying the 10 gram weights.

It allows the engine to rev faster, and in my opinion helps the engine reach and stay in it's powerband quicker.

As far as balance problems, I have a Polaris service manual and it says for over 10,000 feet in altitude to remove two rollers. So it isn't a problem. I've had no problems with mine either. VERY easy mod.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default hawkeye clutch

I went into the local shop and they didnt know to much on this topic they have never modifide one and was not sure about it. they had no # of the 10 gram roller just the 12.

thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye clutch

There isnt any balance problems with removing the two Oppossing rollers, Ive done it, as long as its balanced, just a thought on a earlier post where the Polaris delership got a hawkeye up to 63 Mph is that they added even heavier rollers than the 14 gram rollers and rejetted and fixed that awful muffler that came on the o6 models with the 3/4 inlet and outlet, but i put the calculator to it and if a person were to have 11.5 gram rollers and jetted it right then it would sweet, my only word of advice is to use loctite red on the nut when you put it back together or that nut will spin back off when it kicks back from deccelaration. ive tried both ways with the rollers and its where the performance loss is with those heavy rollers and iff you put bigger tires on it then you really need the 12 gram or lighter rollers or just remove 2 rollers and be happy, but use LOCTITE OR YOU WILL GET STRANDED with a very high revving slow moving quad.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye clutch

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Rickeyparker

and fixed that awful muffler that came on the o6 models with the 3/4 inlet and outlet</end quote></div>

You mean the '06 muffler is WORSE than the "07? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2007, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye clutch

After looking up inside the 06 muffler with a flashlight, the inside of the cannister is inlet and outlet is only like 3/4 inch its smaller that the outside inlet and outlet so definatyl some breathing restrictions inside that cannister.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default hawkeye clutch

I did finally come across the 13 gram & 10 gram rollers the are in the parts manuals for the 07 & 08 and the 07 owners manual says you can go to 6- 10 gram roller at what point will lighten the roller become detramental to the proformance of these clutches?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye clutch

Get some 12g red rollers. I did and I like the improvement over the 14g yellow rollers. I used all 8 of the 12g rollers. Much better with the 25" tires I have on it.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:20 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default hawkeye clutch

Hey RickeyP, do you know what they did to fix "that awful muffler"?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default hawkeye clutch

gave it bigger inlet and Outlet witha built in spark arrestor

Quick Reply: hawkeye clutch