Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Drive Shaft Clatter - host of problems..

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Shaft Clatter - host of problems..

Hello Everyone !

Well.. starting from the beginning..

I picked up a 2002 Sportman 700 ( febuary model ) for what was supposed to be a good deal.. only had 2500 miles on it.. for 4000 $ cad.

It arrived full of mud, and was driven for 5 minutes to make sure it ran, and it sounded good, checked the oil and the gave it a quick once-over.. looked like it just needed a good wash and some fuel..

SURPRISE>>>>

Cleaned it up.. filled the gas tank and went on the maiden voyage.. got no more than 20 kms before we stopped for a quick pit-stop.. and i noticed that my rad fan was running, but the other quads were not.. fairly cool day ya know..

So i check the coolant overflow level and it was EMPTY... ouch.. so grab the water bottle and filled it up, started the bike and quickly realized that it was disapearing rather quickly so we headed back home.

I take it to a local shop ( guy worked at polaris dealership for 20 years before opening up his own ... so he knows what he's doing.. right ? )

500 $ later, Mechanical seal was repalced, along with a motor mount, the speedo meter was not working so a sensor in the front wheel hub was replaced.. good to go again !

Got it home, and next day went for a ride, managed 100 kms trouble free.

Next weekend, rolled it out of the garage, filled up the fuel tank again, and as it warmed up .. drip drip drip... mechanical seal AGAIN...

Back to the shop..

800 $ later, another mechanical seal, the clutch had to be rebuilt ( I asked that they check the belt while they had it there.. belt was ok ( original one ) but the clutch was messed up something fierce.. The head-pipe had a crack where the 2 tubes combine.. had that welded.. oil change and filter.. .. ... ..

Next weekend, decide to go for a ride again and out of paranoia i check my oil before we leave.. GREY OIL>.. and low coolant level...

This time i take it directly to the polaris dealer..

700 $ = head and base gasket ( base was leaking.. but replaced both ) .. tire rod end, new oil and filter, had them check Guy 1's work on the clutch and mech seal.. etc etc etc...

Got another 100 kms in .. and tore a front CV boot ( this one is my fault tho.. hehe)

So.. is this thing a freak.. a lemon.. previous owner's lack of maintenance.. ???

And my main question now :

The rear drive shaft/u-joint, clacks when i get on the gas.. once engaged it's ok but if i let off the throttle and get back on " CLACK " .. should this be replaced before it fails suddenly ? or are they just like that ? opinions ?

Old 11-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Drive Shaft Clatter - host of problems..

man oh man did you get taken for irde i hate to say.. lack of mantainance yes but seems like their was massive abuse before you got it. for the price and money for sunk in it you could have bought a new one. now for the "famous drive line slack" its normal on the newer ones for sure. just take w/ your hand the drive shaft and w/ it sitting still try to rock it back in forth to see if the joint is actually bad. if it is you should be able to feel/se it and yes it wants to be replaced. good luck.