Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

any one ever HeliCoil a Brake Bleeder Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any one ever HeliCoil a Brake Bleeder Valve?

I stripped out the bleeder for the handbrake line on my rear caliper of a 2003 600 twin, (*@*&%!!!!!). Rather than mess with fixing it, I ordered a used one from Ebay, that came to my house with a mangled pistion so I returned it. Sooooo now I am going to attempt to HeliCoil the bleeder fitting. Has anyone ever done this before? Do you recall what depth (length) helicoil you used? Any tips? I picked up the 1/4 x 28 x .375 Kit (Helicoil # 5528-4) and was going to give it a try tonight. Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make a bleeder repair kit at auto parts stores that work fine if you use red loctite on the insert and tap out the cylinder right.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Good Luck!!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

I think thee will be too much pressure there for that!!!........That's just my opinion Though!!!!...............................Good luck!!!........I myself would not leave that in there and depend on that for stopping!!!...........Caper...........

Old 11-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

I have ran a rear brake cylinder with a repair kit on my Harley for 10 yrs now with no problem

Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Done right it wouldn't be a problem. I've used Heli-coils on spark plug holes in aluminum heads at work without a problem

Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ftwflh

I have ran a rear brake cylinder with a repair kit on my Harley for 10 yrs now with no problem</end quote></div>

What harley do you have? Pics???

As far as the heli coil question, If you have to replace the caliper if it works or not, try. What will you be out if it doesn't. It should hold fine if you heli coli it right! I've never tried it on a caliper but give it a whirl.

Which caliper is damaged? i have a few laying around, maybe one would fit?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Harley,

It is the rear caliper on a sportsman 600 twin, it is the same caliper as the 700 Twins for 2002-2003. If you have one around In good shape It would be greatly appreciated and I would galdly pay you for it + shipping etc. -Schneider

Old 11-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Schneider600

Harley,

It is the rear caliper on a sportsman 600 twin, it is the same caliper as the 700 Twins for 2002-2003. If you have one around In good shape It would be greatly appreciated and I would galdly pay you for it + shipping etc. -Schneider</end quote></div>

I would gladly send one to you but they are for older machines. Sorry. They are both new but not for that model.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for looking anyway, much apprecaited. I didnt get to the helicoil last night, I was sizing everything up and it looks like the bit I am going to use 17/64 is just going to shave 1/64th from the wall of the bleeder hole in the caliper, and the alimunum should be easy to tap by hand, I am thinking I may be abel to do it right on the machine. I will let you know how I make out

Quick Reply: any one ever HeliCoil a Brake Bleeder Valve?