Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Got the Trailboss running this evening!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the Trailboss running this evening!

Thanks to those that have offered help getting the Trailboss going. I normally wouldn't have bothered with a ATV project this time of year but something about that 2-stroke captured my attention!

The ATV hasn't run in over 3 years according to the previous owner. I bought it as a rebuild project knowing there was a tranny problem. Rebuilt the tranny but haven't bought remainder of items needed until I heard it run. Well, got the carb and fuel system cleaned-out and gased it up tonight and it fired right up. the 2-stroke purred well.

One slight issue, when I try to crank with the starter, it turns over a little then the bendix kicks out and it just spins! It even backfired a couple times. It cranks fine with the rope, but the rope is a little too solid for my 10 year old to pull! At first it didn't want to even spin but I noticed a lot of crud on the cable ends and cleaned them off. Now it spins but kicks out. Any suggestions??????

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Make sure your battery is 100% charged. If it's not, your starter will do the thing you describe. Test it by putting a battery charger on it and crank it over. See if it still kicks out.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info!

Actually, i think I answered my own question in my post??? I should have thought a little bit more when I had to clean the rust and crud off of the battery cables and battery posts. I checked the voltage at the starter and I'm only getting 10.2 volts when the battery itself is showing 13.5. I believe I have some more dirty connections along the way. I'll get those cleaned up Saturday since we're about to head out of town for Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!