Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

death wobble!!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default death wobble!!

I have gotten a case of what we in the jeep community call "death wobble"...

When i go in the deep snow and the AWD kicks in, i get an extremely bad shake of the handle bars.... like jarring shake... everytime i go up the hill (it has like 2 feet of snow on it) in hi range going like 15 mph, it slows me down and while it contines to pull up the hill, it is spinning all 4 wheels and pulls me through it without much problem... besides the shaking handle bars...

The wheels are packed with snow, i clean them out, and it happens again rather quickly... it doesnt do it in 2wd going down the road at high speeds though, so i dont think it is an unballanced wheel....

what is causing this horrible shake?

the quad is brand new, only 7 hours on it... and it only does it when the AWD kicks in...

any suggestions are greatly appreciated... thanks, erick

Old 12-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default death wobble!!

There have been posts on this very thing.......I'll see if I can find one.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default death wobble!!

That is normal in deep snow.......Where you spinning all 4 tires?..........If yes...Then the front left and right are just digging looking for traction..........Therefore you will notice it "alot" in the handlebars as each front wheel/tire tries to get the better grip!!!!.....Hope that helps!!!.........Caper...........

Old 12-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default death wobble!!

Mine does the same exact thing - I was told this was normal. The front wheels are kicking in and out from left to right. Its grabbing on the right while the left tire spins in the snow and then the left grabs when the right wheel start loosing traction.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Range Rover
Default death wobble!!

so it is normal... good to know...

It got through it, but i was hoping i diddnt ruin a belt or something....

spinning all 4 and going through DEEP powder wont hurt anything will it?

thanks!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default death wobble!!

hasnt hurt mine at all - make sure you get all the snow out of your wheels and boot area when you are done riding or it will turn to ice. I made that mistake ONCE. took me hours to melt with a blow dryer and pick it off. I dont have a heated garage so it SUCKED

Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default death wobble!!

Well ...I try to keep at a nice steady pace!!..........you will be alright as long as you don't hit something dry and has alot of grip!!!.(bare ground).......This may cause CV wear ,as the wheels will be spinning and all of a sudden the rubber gets grip!!!.......That's the only thing I myself would worry about with all 4 tires spinning!!..........Caper...........

Old 12-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Range Rover
Default death wobble!!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: brutus450

hasnt hurt mine at all - make sure you get all the snow out of your wheels and boot area when you are done riding or it will turn to ice. I made that mistake ONCE. took me hours to melt with a blow dryer and pick it off. I dont have a heated garage so it SUCKED</end quote></div>

well this news is bad news... guess what i did....

the quad is sitting in the garage with the wheels packed with snow, and the whole undercarrage is covered.... i did however clean off all the top of it with a snow brush...

thanks for the help guys! very appreciated!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default death wobble!!

Ditto on this being normal. It will do it on dirt also if you are towing a heavy load and the AWD kicks in like hauling logs. Won't hurt nothing as the sportsman has a pretty heavy duty driveline.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default death wobble!!

if it turned to ice make sure you get it off all around the boots so it doesnt rip them next time you ride.

Mine was so iced up the quad wouldnt budge - frozen wheels, frozen brakes - it was bad...........i got to know my cv boots very intimately........ LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: death wobble!!