Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

trouble shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble shifting

Okay, any mechanics out there, I need an opinion. I have a Sportsmand 500, 2003 that i installed a clutch kit in two years ago. I began having a lot of trouble shifting from low to hi, hi to low while at idle. Several times i couldnt get the thing out of reverse, wrestling with the linkages and banging on the shift **** hard so I could get out of the woods. It started creeping in idle as well forcing me to put the thing in neutral to start it. I turned the machine over to our local "experts" , a unnamed dealer in the Northern Virginia area. The mechanic is trying to tell me after removing the front clutch assembly that it is cracked and I need a new one. I viewed the hairline fissures that were near the base of the inner drum with doubt. This is a 400.00 part that they are talking about. I asked about the possibility of my problem being the shifting forks or the linkages or that my trans has shifted and everything is out of sync. No, no..here's your problem. It's your clutch. How can the shifting AT IDLE be affected by my front clutch assembly? Input is needed here so when I go back I have ammunitionfor financial defense. Thanks for anything....

Old 12-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Old 12-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Trailblazer
Default trouble shifting

Well as it turns out that was exactly what the problem was. The fissures had been binding on th ebelt not allowing the belt to slide on the clutch. Hence the "creeping" while trying to start it. This was also the cause of the shifting problem which is why I could shift while the engine was not running but had somuch trouble when it was at idle, I guess that mechanic actually knew what he was talking about. Thanks for the response, it was veryhelpful in reassuring me during the whiole three week in-the-shop-process. I'm back in the wooods again and shifting is smooth as butta...