Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler Rearend Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler Rearend Problems

I'm going to try to explain this as easy as possilbe. I was riding my Scrambler in the snow today just around my land a little. I went to go put it back into the garage. Put it in reverse, backed up abouut 10 feet slowly, and then heard a loud pop! I looked at the rearend and the axle is tilted back on the left side causing the right side to be pushed forward and the rear sprocket is jammed into the rear swingarm and has worn around where it meets the rearend housing on the center of the axle. The axle it noticeably messed up with the naked eye. I wasn't riding hard or anything. The swingarm looks to be fine. I don't know what in the world happened. Has anybody had an experience like this? I just don't know where to start for tareing it down. If that wasn't enough I burned my arm on the muffler while fumbling around with it. Now I have a nice long 6" 3rd degree burn!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Had a similar problem with my trailboss a few years back check the swingarm bolts that hold it too the frame??

Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

I gave them a quick checkover and they seemed fine. I don't have time right now to give it a good diagnosis, but hopefully I will on Sunday.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

if your rear sprocket is rubbing against the swingarm, sounds to me like you need new axle bearings. pretty common really. sounds like your just went a little too long and just gave up on you. do a search on here.,, several people have had some issues with this project. mainly getting the axle nut loose. after that its not that big of a deal.

at least you werent far from home or out in the woods somewhere when this happened.....

X

Old 12-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

I am so happy that I wasn't far from home. If it's just axle bearings, that shouldn't be to bad. The rear axle is locked up right now, would that indicate bearings? I'll do a search and see what I can come up with. I'm pretty confident that I can fix them. I've had my old Trailblazer's rear axle torn apart many times.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Range Rover

I had the same thing happen. Most likely the bearing on the sprocket side grenaded. That has caused the sprocket and axle to twist and jam to the swing arm. Be lucky it was not the caliper side. When this happens the rotor is captured by the caliper and it rides and chews through the caliper body. I had that side go and did not notice it for an entire day ride. When i looked it had worn through the caliper body and halfway through the caliper bolts.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, I'm glad it was not the caliper side. I checked over the caliper and it's fine. Seems like the bearing must be the problem. Where is a good place to get them? How much would they be? Should I replace both sides while I'm at it.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

yes, replace both of them. they come in sets anyways. i have been running the pivot works bearings and they have held up great. i think the whole set with seals was arouns $25-$30. WAY cheaper than polaris parts. BUT i do recommend that you buy the stock polaris seals. they seem to fit and seal better. they are cheap anyways.

good luck.

X

Old 12-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks! I'll check out the Pivot Works ones and get the Polaris seals. It doesn't really matter becuase I'm going to be getting rid of this soon anyway. SHHHHH! I wouldn't do that to the next owner.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

I looked at Pivot Works and they only show bearings for a '03 Scrambler 400 4x4. Is that the same axle as my '01 500 4x4?

Quick Reply: Scrambler Rearend Problems