Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winterizing your Quads

how long are you storeing them ?

Old 12-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say a fuel stabilizer such as stabil or seafoam. You could also take your battery out and bring it to a warm dry location or keep a battery tender on it. Dont think you need to do much with the tires. Oh, and I would also get the machine cleaned up real good and use polish on the wheels and plastics to keep rust away. Instead of draining the carb I just start mine every month or so, seems to work for me.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:44 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Don't forget to take the weight off the springs and tires, block it up. Take heart, I'll make a few rides for you.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Good tips you all, yea it would only be sitting for like 2 to maybe 3 months at the
most. (Doubt it thought!)

R'

Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey big R, im guessing that it gets colder here then where you are and so mine sits for 5 months ata time w/ no problems. heres what i do. make sure the gas tank is full and put stab. in the tank and run it for for a few mintues so its in the efi system. also i charge the battery up so i know it has a full charge and it wont freeze if its fully charged and full of fluid.them i park it and see it in 5 months.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Fuel stabilizer... and either run the bike out of gas or start it every 3 or 4 weeks.

OR just ride!

Old 12-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

With a fully charged lead acid batery, the freezing point is around 50 below 0F so as long as there are no parasitic loads (ie computer, clocks, wiring weaknesses, etc) and you don't experience those kind of temps you should have no problem with the battery but to be safe, at least disconnect the negative terminal. This will prevent any current leakage from the battery. What the cold will do to a battery is reduce the cranking amps of the battery when it is cold. There is a general curve for lead acid batteries but can't remember where I found it when I was researching 1700 AH plant storage batteries for work. As soon as the battery warms up, the cranking amps return. Any temp above around 50 increases the self discharge characteristic of a lead acid battery wereas temps elow this tend to reduce this tendancy. There is nothing wrong with pulling the battery from the machine if you have some place to store it but I find that all my batteries end up being in my way when I need to work on something.

If your machine is going to be sitting for prolonged periods, then be safe and drain the fuel from the tank then run the machine on reserve until it dies. The only thing the stabalizers do is keep the fuel from separating but does not prevent it from evaporating. With my lawn mower, which gets stored for long periods (lucky me), I also pour a couple cups of ATF into the gas tank before I run it out of fuel and a bit in the spark plug hole then run the engine for a bit. This will ensure everything gets a good coating of ATF. It will smoke like a neglected 2 stroke in the spring but everything will be lubed. This is the best time to change all your fluids as well. This will ensure any gunk is removed with the old fluids and replaced with clean fluids. Then your machine will be ready for fun in the sun.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Good tips, I appreciate it you all! After the weekend ride I will take these steps.
As far as putting it up on blocks, I won't have that luxery, but nice to do I know!

Merry Christmas you all!

R'

Old 12-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

ride it don't store it!

Quick Reply: Winterizing your Quads