Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PatsPolarisPage

I've been using synthetic Mobile 1 ATF in my from gear case, with no problems.</end quote></div>

I think the problem is with Polaris ATV's with ADC. Correct me if I am wrong, but you may not have ADC.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, I don't think I have ADC, I've never read anything about it on my ATV. Heck, I'm still wondering what it stands for.
Automatic Drive .... something or other, lol.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-25-2007, 04:03 AM
Range Rover

What have you guys been paying for dealer to change all fuids?

All my fluids changed cost $502 taxes in.

Seems like a rip off...bill is still outstanding i thought it was alot cheaper then that.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PatsPolarisPage

Yeah, I don't think I have ADC, I've never read anything about it on my ATV. Heck, I'm still wondering what it stands for.

Automatic Drive .... something or other, lol.

[img][/img]</end quote></div>

no you dont have adc(active descent controll) as it came out in 2007. the front end takes a specail hub fluid made by polarisand people have had trouble when they didnt use the correct type. surprised you havent had any issues. 2blue why did it cost so much money for a fluid change?? that was a rip off. ok on page 77 in my 08'800 manual under the lubrication guide it clearly says item "demand drivefluid (front)gearcase =Demand Drive LT premium fluid. i had to read the book in another section. page 126 under gearcase/trans lubes it give the 8 oz. pn# of 2876251. hope this helps you all out. a "very" good post sheep as i have a bunch of the regual hub fluid i would have used in my change if it haded been for you learning this important info...

Old 12-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like I have a couple of years worth of the proper fluid for my non-ADC 500...LOL!!!

I'm going to pull the drain plug on the 800 front diff and let is sit like that until I can get some LT fluid, this way every last drop can get out of there. And then just to be safe, I'll drain and refill after I snowplow the next two times. Then I'll just watch things really closely in case it starts to go bad like Scrammy's did.

Thanks guys. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, stopped at the dealer today to get the proper fluid, and found out that not only did THEY not have any but neither did any other Polaris dealer in my region. Additionally, they would have to charge me a $50 shipping surcharge for one bottle of fluid. After educating them on the LT fluid and that there would be numerous customers coming in next year for this very fluid and that they needed to have it available not just for me but for all of them, they placed an order for two cases of the stuff.

This is what I found out, the LT fluid is specifically for the ADC models.........right on the bottle is has the following statement "DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR USE WITH FRICTION PLATES AND OVER RUNNING CLUTCH." Now I don't know what an over running clutch is, but I did find out that the front diff with ADC has friction plates in it.

HERE is an exploded view of a front diff with ADC for the 2007 Sportsman 800 built after 7-26-2006. Clearly you can see a clutch pack (friction plates and metal plates) in there.

I showed my dealer (parts guy) this thread, specifically where my owners manual said to use regular Demand Drive Fluid, and asked him what he could find out about using this fluid when it should have the LT fluid in there. He got on the phone with "POLARIS TECH" and while I was standing right there, the guy on the phone told him that the proper fluid to use was the LT fluid. When the parts guy was asked what would happen if the regular fluid was used, he was told that the components inside could overheat. When told that the customer (me) was plowing snow in zero to 30 degree temps, he was told that there shouldn't be an overheating issue, but that the LT fluid should be installed as soon as possible.

So, I'll continue plowing snow with the 500 until the LT fluid comes in. I don't want to chance ruining my differential after my warranty runs out in February and having problems getting it replaced. The assembly is a whopping $800.

On a related note, the new models with the ability to select AWD without ADC, would be a benefit in many cases. Obviously AWD is needed a lot whereas you could actually do without ADC in most cases, like when snowplowing. In my case I don't have the option of choosing AWD without ADC.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so sheep, your saying because of yours being unable to switch into the awd w/out using the adc(like mine is) it causes heating in the front end?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Right.

If mine had the option like yours, it would basically be a non-adc model like my 500 whenever the switch was in the middle position. I assume that the ADC function (clutch pack) just sits there and does nothing unless you put the switch all the way to the left. If my assumption is correct, then there wouldn't be any heat build-up beyond a non-ADC front diff.

I have to wonder how similar the Kawasaki front diff fluid is compared to the Polaris LT fluid. The Kawasaki (Brute Force) has a manually operated locker in the front diff, a small clutch pack operates it.

EXPLODED VIEW of Kawasaki Brute Force Front Diff.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

There is another dealer near me that I got th LT fluid from, and the parts guys there said they have been installing a switch on some 07s so the operator could disable the ADC when they wanted. It was a headlight switch from a dirtbike and they just spliced the wires to the ADC so it could be turned on or off when needed. Personally I can't think of a time when I would want it off, but it's nice to have the option.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

Well, its definitely not needed for snow plowing. LOL!! It would seem that being the name is called Active DESCENT Control, that it would only engage when the ATV is decending, which is the only time its really needed. The reality is that it doesn't know the difference between you going uphill, downhill, or level. ADC will engage anytime the ECM detects all of the following:

1. Throttle is closed
2. Speed less than 15 mph
3. Transmission in gear
4. Drive mode is in the AWD position.

Not necessarily in that order, but if all the above is happening, then ADC will be activated. The instant that one or more of those things changes, ADC deactivates. So basically its on all the time (when I let off the gas) while I'm plowing snow. I like to think of ADC as Extreme Engine Braking, as it will bring the ATV to a stop very quickly on level ground.

I might just check into the switch and see if it would be worth it to me to do it.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners