Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners"></title><script src=

Hello everyone. I just caught up on this post regarding front drive fluid and the use of the wrong fluids in them that have ADC.

I want to let everyone know that if it is hard to find the Polaris Demand Drive Fluid LT then John Deere J20D oil is comparable and will function fine in the front drives with ADC.

Another thing, the use of wrong oil for short durations of time will not permanently damage the internals of the front drive. The wrong oil will create unwanted chatter in the clutch plates and produce an audible sound and may add feedback to the handlebars only when ADC is operating. The good news is that by changing the wrong oil out with the recommended Polaris LT oil or John Deere J20D oil within the first few miles of the oil change the noise and chattering will dissipate. The clutch plates will essentially wear the previous incorrect oil and replace it with the approved oils mentioned above.

It is also important to note that the use of ATF, AGL, Mobil 424, or the previous Polaris Demand Drive Fluid is not recommended and can cause the above issues as well as unwanted engagements in cold weather (-0F)

PM me if you have any additional questions or concerns and I will help clarify what I can.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:59 AM
DCT
Banned
Default ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Discovery

So if I understand correctly, you can us the premium DDF ok as long as you do not use ADC. if you used the ADC you need the LT DDF.???</end quote></div>

Mine does not have ADC, and the manual still states to use the LT fluid.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Discovery

So if I understand correctly, you can us the premium DDF ok as long as you do not use ADC. if you used the ADC you need the LT DDF.???</end quote></div>

Mine does not have ADC, and the manual still states to use the LT fluid.</end quote></div>

The recommended fluid to use in all front drives now is the LT fluid. But it is very important to make sure to use it (or the alternate oil listed above) in the ADC models.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

Right. Either differential can use the LT fluid. But the ADC front differential can ONLY use the LT fluid.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm glad this topic re-surfaced!

I had all fluids (well, except coolant) changed on my first oil change. The dealer said my old diff fluids looked fine but it's the peace-of-mind that makes me happy.

When am I supposed to do the next LOF? diff fluid changes?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

One thing to remember on the front drives is the internal ring and pinion gears are net forged. This means that they will take some time to wear in properly to eachother. Thus the drain plug will show signs of metallic sludge for the first few changes then it will slowly taper off. This does not effect the functionality of the front drive and is just a part of the break in period for the gear set. The ADC models will also darken the oil quicker than the non-ADC ones due to the addition of the friction plates and slip clutch mechanism in the pinion bell. Again, not to be alarmed as the unit is functioning correctly.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners"></title><script src=

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lksyotas

It is also important to note that the use of ATF, AGL, Mobil 424, or the previous Polaris Demand Drive Fluid is not recommended and can cause the above issues as well as unwanted engagements in cold weather (-0F)</end quote></div>

Mobil 424 is the same as LT