Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil Change 500 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change 500 EFI

How important is it to remove the fitting on the back of the oil tank and clean out the screen at every oil change as discussed in the owners manual? Any tricks to doing this? The fitting is hidden behind the tank and tight against something behind it. Also when this is done the manual says that the oil pump must be primed.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Range Rover

The way I see things if Polaris thinks it's important enough to put it in their service manual then it should probably be followed. Once you have everything done you have to prime the system. You need to pinch off the vent tube where it comes out of the oil tank between the tank and the vent slits. While pinched run the machine 10-20 seconds. When you release it you should hear a gush of air. If not do it again. To pinch off the vent tube I use a long pair of needle nose pliers with a 45 degree turn at the end. Works well for me.

It's a poor deal at best but it is what it is!!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

It is tough, I did it the first time and haven't done it since then. I'll try to find an old thread or two on this topic, it has been completely covered before.

ADDED:

Okay, I found too many threads to post. This is what you should do, go to the main POLARIS forum link and then click on the ADVANCED SEARCH button. Click the button to clear all the forum selections and then manually add the POLARIS forum, In the top entry field, type in the following words without quotes "oil pump prime"

This search will result in a lot of threads on the information you're looking for. If you pick the threads with the most replies, chances are you'll find the information you're looking for rather quickly.

Good luck!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

Good info Sheepdog. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

i clean my screen every time,if anything i would like to know whats in it!!i have'nt been scared yet...but then again when you ride as far off the beatin path as i do you take extra care on your maintance..i have been a wrench at a dodge dealer for 11 years now and we have a saying"a little maintace goes along way-kinda goes with- do it right or do MORE LATER!!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nobody has really said how they get that fitting out of the tank. Mine is tight against something behind it. the bleeding process is explained pretty well in the manual

Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rick480

Nobody has really said how they get that fitting out of the tank. Mine is tight against something behind it. the bleeding process is explained pretty well in the manual</end quote></div>

There shouldn't be anything against the back of it. Are you saying there's no room to spin it out? Let me go outside and take a picture of how I do it. Give me a few minutes please.

ADDED:

Okay, the first pic shows the tool I used to get the screen fitting off. Its a 22mm wrench that was part of an old Honda motorcycle tool kit. It has a sliding handle on it for increased leverage. You need something short like this as there isn't a lot room in there for a normal sized tool/ratchet/wrench. The reason this worked so well for me is that, due to the hose nipple near the socket head portion of the screen fitting, there is very little room for the tool to grab. I couldn't fit the tool on the screen fitting with the hose connected, but with the hose off, it fits on there completely all the way around EXCEPT for the one flat where the nipple is. On that one flat it fits on there most of the way. While turning the wrench, I used one hand to turn it and the other hand to hold the wrench against the nipple to make sure it didn't slip off while cranking on it.

The second pic shows the back of my oil tank, you can see the screen fitting with oil line still attached.

The third pic shows how I positioned the tool on the fitting. Like I said, there isn't much room to work with in there, so you have to be careful. There is locktite on the threads so it will take a significant amount of force to break it loose. I used teflon tape on the threads when I reinstalled it.

One thing that a person might try, is to get a 22mm socket and cut or grind one flat out of it. This way the socket will slide over the nipple and it would probably be a lot easier to turn that way. Even with the tool I used, it was still a b*tch, that's why I won't do it every time. LOL!!

Good luck.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, where the L shaped Screen fitting comes out of the back of the plastic oil tank, it is tight against something behind it. I don't see any way it could be backed out of the tank without taking the whole tank out.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

What atv? the X2 is a pain! you can remove the oil tank.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, it is a X2

Quick Reply: Oil Change 500 EFI