new 500 Touring owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 PM
RnR
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 500 Touring owner

Hey folks,

Been the proud owner of a new 500 Touring for a couple of weeks now. Reading posts on this site sure helped me make a decision. So thanks!

It didn't take too long to narrow choices down to the TRV, Outback, and Touring/X2. The Outback looked nice, but the price ruled it out. The TRV wasn't as comfortable in the showroom two up test. One thing we noticed was that the Cat didn't have as much foot room. In the end the real clencher was the price. $8995 CAN. It came with the Polaris 2500lb winch and a 2 year warranty. No PDI or freight charges either. Blacks Corners in Carleton Place were great to deal with. I ended up getting the straight plow (60 inch I think) and heated handgrips/thumb warmer. Not the ideal way to break a bike in, but all I've been doing is plowing snow. And we've had plently over the last couple of weeks. Snow removal has never been so much fun :-). I debated alot been the 800 and 500. After a spin on a 500 X2 I figured it would have enough engine. The 500 doesn't seem to working at all moving the snow. This thing's a bull. The 800 must be nuts!

Thanks again for all the great posts, very helpful. Glad I caught the "caution about premium demand drive" fluid in the ADC machines. Also my dad picked up new mossy oak 400 Sportsman today. I'll make sure to pass on a review when he gets some time on it.

Rob

Old 12-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new ATV. I don't think snowplowing is a bad way to break it in. After all, you're constantly varying the throttle and speed, giving the clutch a good work out, all the while not loading the engine too much.

And you're right, snowplowing IS fun.

Post some pics when you can.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum and congrads on the new toy. i owuld suggest if you have a heavy amount of snow to use low range if your not already(the snow plowers will tell you better) that way your not heating up your clutches and belt at low speeds. oh and your right snow plowing is fun (in my warm pick up lol) sorry had to throw that in as were getting 7" more snow this morning.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

I assumed he was using L range. Good reminder, Stendori.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

RnR

a BIG congrats and WELCOME to the best Forum on the planet!

I noticed you have the Polaris winch. Just a note of caution, if you notice it free-spool-out or not raise once in awhile then that means you got a dud. Return it to the Dealer for a replacement. I have had many probs and wish I insisted on the Polaris WARN 2.5.

I can list the 2 different part #'s if you wish.

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

part#2875879 Polaris 2500# (Mine, not happy with)

part#2875952 Polaris WARN 2.5 (the one I wish I had)

part#2876819 Polaris WARN 3.0 (the best imo)

Old 12-29-2007, 01:50 PM
RnR
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the hello. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Yes I've been using low for plowing. Tried high a couple of times when the snow was real light. Low feels better. The winch has been flawless so far, thanks for the heads up MT. I'll check that part number.

I'm looking forward to heading out on the trails this summer. Also planning on joining the local club, OVATVC. Trail passes, group rides, all sounds good.

I'll work on some pictures.
Rob

Old 12-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have a Rally in the spring and Fall up in Mattawa ,Ontario............Great place to ride up there,IMO

My wife and I go on the Fall Rally every year(twice so far)........Great time,
Good luck with your new quads..................Caper......................

Old 12-29-2007, 05:43 PM
RnR
Weekend Warrior

Here's a pic. Not the best, but my camera sucks.

BTW, MT, when I was looking for a number on the winch (didn't find it) I noticed the cable is pretty badly frayed just to the inside of the rollers. Guess I'll be giving the dealer a call next week.

Rob

Old 12-29-2007, 05:49 PM
RnR
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka

They have a Rally in the spring and Fall up in Mattawa ,Ontario............Great place to ride up there,IMO

My wife and I go on the Fall Rally every year(twice so far)........Great time,

Good luck with your new quads..................Caper...................... </end quote></div>

Ya I saw that one. I've been poking around their site. They do quite a few rides throughout the season. My dad got out for the first time on his 400 today. Loves it! He has been riding an old Yamaha 350 that seen better days. Says the Polaris is like a Cadillac.

Rob

Quick Reply: new 500 Touring owner