Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Things i notice on used 700 I just purchased part II

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things i notice on used 700 I just purchased part II

Hello folks. I just bought a 2002 700 sporstman Carb. It has 156 hours on it. runs good has a cycle country plow, ITP wheels and 27 by 11 by 12 itp 589 or is it 6 any way, oh yea the fronts are 27x9x12.

A little background for me. I work at a polaris dealer as a mechanic for a year ten years ago. I do understand how most of the things work well as for the factory stuff. Not to much about the aftermarket.

Ok for the second question. I am thinking that it has to do with the tires, and I will have to do something with the clutch.

The problem is whether I am in low or high the bike runs great no real problems except when I give it full throttle it doesnt fall on its face but you can tell you hit a plateau and it almost boggs a little. If you get out of it a little it will run great again. I dont think its a fuel problem becuse if you nail it or go slowly it has plenty of power but as your speed increases it will start to bog and pull down.

So I am thinking it has to be the clutch. the thing is that I have no I idea what it needs or where to get what it needs.

and maybe I am wrong and I need to do some carb work.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks
Clint

Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things i notice on used 700 I just purchased part II

I've had relatively good luck with my first year model 2002 Sportsman 700 and am very happy with it.
The engine may be "worn" some but it runs great (and strong). Maintenance is key.
The lifters are hydraulic and do not require adjustment.
The front exhaust donut (NAPA part # 31360) at the Y-pipe exhaust manifold wears and may leak.

I have replaced the carb boot/adaptor (p/n 1253415), the rubber gets weathered/dry rotted bad on some and may crack through.

And the hall Speedo sensors sometimes go out ($50 part, p/n 4010298), its at the right front wheel rotor and has a wire going up to the pod.

Also the water pump cover should be a metal replacement of the leaky original plastic cover on '02-03 models.
This was a Tech Service Bulletin for models in '02 and some early '03's.

The crank breather filter should be omitted for colder climates, this was also a Tech Service Bulletin (TSB). It added an insulated hose (w/1" slot).
The TSB is #S-03-05 and the part # is 2202744

Also some machines, mostly '03's have cold weather start jetting updates, both of the TSB's and the jetting should have been taken care of under warranty.

Jim
---------------------------------------

List of the Sportsman Problem/Weak Area's

http://www.atvfrontier.com/For.../highlight=struts.html