Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Junkyard Wars starring Fourlix aired wed night Metal Medics vs Art Attack

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2001, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I should have let you guys know ahead of time. We (the Metal Medics) went to England in Sept. to shoot the powerboat episode. It was a blast. Kinda wish we could have done the Dunebuggy episode, but, that's show biz. They don't let you know ahead of time what you are going to build. It was just too much fun. We are hoping to do it again, they liked us alot even though we lost. We built the faster machine, but flipped it. Made for great TV though. Classic Tortoise vs Hare situation.
'Tis better to hit the wall
than stall out in the pits.
Silly Later,,,Alex,
er,Fourlix that is.

Old 01-12-2001, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

man forlix
i wished u would have said something earlier. i watched the first show on wednesday at 9pm. it was building a all-terrian vehicle, but it was not like the sp500.

i really like that show. do u know if they "stock" the junkyard with things that they think u would need to build the prodject??

it always amazes me that thoes engines always seem to start after sitting for so long, wouldent the fuel gell up?

did u get paid for going and doing the show?

later
jon

Old 01-12-2001, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

I watched that episode. Were you the guy driving the Trash Can Boat? If you guys would have distributed you weight properly, you would have won easily. It would be fun to participate in something like that.

Greg

Old 01-12-2001, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

I loved the all terain episode. I am in college right now and I dont get to ride much at all, been a few month acctually, which is said, and as soon as the one team got that bike engin started and reved it, I got a rush of adrenilin(sp??) and really wanted to ride anything really. Anyway, I didnt get to see the boat one, but Im sure I will see it on a rerun. u must of had a blast!!!

MuDDog
97 Sportsman 500

Old 01-12-2001, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you can see Larry the "expert" shifting his weight over and maybe starting the roll as they went into the turn. But we weren't allowed any testing and had no idea how it would handle.
He was trying to keep the pontoon up 'cause the bow wave from it was going into the engine compartment. We had 3 barrels unpenetrated, so we knew it wouldn't sink, but swamping it could have caused its' own problems.
The junkyard set is 4 acres in the corner of a large scrapheap on the east side of London. The TV crew selects usable junk from the larger yard and places it around with the other scrap. They try to find wrecked and rusted out cars with working, usable motors. It is a bit of an Easter Egg hunt, as they do try to provide appropriate
materials for the projects as proposed by the experts. The contestants know nothing ahead of time as far as what the project is going to be. I bought many drinks trying to find out. But the "experts" go in with a plan, and the TV crew tries to have the stuff out there to find. The expert and captain are not allowed to look, however. In our case we never did find our second pontoon, which would lead to our loss. We looked and looked and just never found anything that we thought would work. We should have been less picky, but we expected the Art Attack boat to get up on a plane and go really fast, so we were very concerned with drag. But the Art Attack boat never got on a plane and was slow as molasses. We had speed to spare, but were so top
heavy. I stayed dry and hung out with Cathy the host and executive producer while George the co-host was on the dock. That's why you see me and Cathy doing pretty much the whole end of the show. Losing was never so much fun.
We got plane tickets to England, hotel, ground transportation and about $300 each for expenses. If we'd won we would have recieved another weeks stay in the Hotel and an additional $300. We went over for 2 weeks, so after we lost we moved from the crummy industrial area of London to a happening neighborhood centrally located and began some intense sightseeing and
merrymaking. I've never had so much fun. The show was great, but being in England made it the
experience of a lifetime. Now the show is being moved to Los Angeles and is a big hit for The Learning Channel. We will be in re-runs forever.
it's Cable.
Silly Later,,,,Fourlix
P.S. We hardly used the quads at all. Unless there was something heavy it just wasn't worth it.
The turns in the junkyard were too tight and getting around the corners with the trailer was very difficult.

Old 01-12-2001, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

I only saw the start of it before going out. Is it a set up or do they really have running condition B.M.W motorcycles lying around in English junk yards?

Old 01-12-2001, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Most European countries have strict annual safety inspections for all vehicles. Vehicles that we would be driving are scrapped or parted out. Unless the owner fixes everything it can't be relicensed. So there's lots of good junk available. The TV crew searches this stuff out and salts the junkyard set with it. When I was looking for a diesel engine, as per our expert's request, I walked by that Land Rover many times, thinking it was one of the camera guys rigs. At a glance it looked pretty good. On closer inspection it was badly rusted, had no alternator, had no reverse (I had to pull it out of the pile it was nosed into with the four-wheeler) so even though it looked sort of okay, it was a heap. But it would not have been brought in if the motor didn't run. Hey, it's only a 10 hour build day, and no spare parts.
Rebuilding an engine is out of the equation.
There were lots of motorcycles in the junkyard, mostly japanese. The shaft-drive Bimmer was a real score for the Art Attacks. It was a real smoker and cosmetically rough, but I
think it could have been a good fixer-upper for somebody who didn't want to make a duck boat out of it. Silly Later,,,,Fourlix

Old 01-12-2001, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, I saw that one!!! I think the outrigger needed to be farther away (it's easy to be a sofa coach, isn't it). I think that sort of thing would be a blast! I could just see me be the one driving when it went over. Too bad there wasn't some way to mount the seats lower. I find it surprising how good some of the 'junk' looks, but then when I go to the landfill I am always amazed how good some of the 'junk' looks there. I guess around here, we run stuff longer than most (my dad is still driving a 30 year old car, not a classic, or restored or anything, just because he didn't wear it out yet - and he bought it new, and don't even get me started on the 1965 tractor we use every day feedig cows). Repairs would likely make it cost as much to run as a newer one, but we do most of the fixing ourselves.

Old 01-12-2001, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, I saw that one!!! I think the outrigger needed to be farther away (it's easy to be a sofa coach, isn't it). I think that sort of thing would be a blast! I could just see me be the one driving when it went over. Too bad there wasn't some way to mount the seats lower. I find it surprising how good some of the 'junk' looks, but then when I go to the landfill I am always amazed how good some of the 'junk' looks there. I guess around here, we run stuff longer than most (my dad is still driving a 30 year old car, not a classic, or restored or anything, just because he didn't wear it out yet - and he bought it new, and don't even get me started on the 1965 tractor we use every day feedig cows). Repairs would likely make it cost as much to run as a newer one, but we do most of the fixing ourselves.

Old 01-12-2001, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

They rerun the Junk Yard Wars alot on our T.L.C station so I will make a point of watching out for the boat race.

Quick Reply: Junkyard Wars starring Fourlix aired wed night Metal Medics vs Art Attack