Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutch Kits

that is why the shift out is changed alot by changing the angle of the helix and w/ differnt spring compression rates. faster movemnt of the secondary opening results in slower top end speeds.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Kits

You nailed it Stendori. I know the spring that I put in under ther secondary clutch was unreal stiff. It took my buddy and I to compress it down enough to get the snap ring back on the setup. The factory one I could push down with my thumbs. The new one took about all our upper body weight pushing on a pipe pushing the snap ring down. But it made an unreal difference in lauch and hill climbing. You can spin all 4 wheels in 4x4 now with ease when you hit the throttle. I'll remind you that's with 27" 589s.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Kits

If your secondary spring is soo stiff that it won't open all the way then yes you will lose top speed, but this is just a poor set up, rob peter to pay paul. You need a helix to make the differance.
He didn't mention bigger tires just trail riding.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Range Rover
Default Clutch Kits

You have to rob peter to pay paul considering you can't regear a polaris atv. There is a different helix included with the epi kit. The larger springs are for tighter lock up so there is no belt slippage. If there are no larger tires involved I'm sure the EPI standard kit will do just fine. EPI makes a wide variety of kits for all sorts of mods and riding.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Range Rover
Default Clutch Kits

I put a different color spring in mine and thats it. I now can pull a whellie. cscrambler 500 2005. I'm going to put on one inch taller tires all the way around and need clutch advice. I had my machine DYNo'd so I know all rpm ranges on a graph. plus the tuned it with jetting to get abpoiut 1.5 hp. all stock motor, stock air box, tires everthing but the clutch spring. That said, I want to send someone my dyno sheet and have them set my clutch up for my tires and desert riding. elevation 2000-6000 ft. Will someone at EPI or Heel clicker lookm at my chart and sell me the correct pieces ?????

I can and will send anyone the sheet. The sportsman and scrambler are the same motor 2005 500 ho .... Please advise .......

Old 01-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Kits

I installed the Team stage 2 clutch kit on my 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI..This kit comes with their RAPID REACTION secondary clutch..We have to identical atv's and the one with the clutch kit will out pull and accelerate the stock one big time...

Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Kits

I never buy "clutch kits" If you know clutching you can mix&match parts and get the engagement and shiftout where you want it and never loose any topend inmost cases you can gain if you get the clutching right.
When you buy a kit it comes with a general set up to make most folks happy.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Kits

i have the "heelclicker" ..while playing with adjustabilty of the weight you can pretty much make the kit do what you want,speed ,wheelies and work..i just run the recomeded settings but with the orange spring and adding some weightmy lil 400 was a wheelie machine ,never thought i would see that..under the recomeded settings i have not burnt or glazed a belt yet, and haveing a nutless 400 with 28" zillas i have smoked alot of belts before the heelclicker..ALL SAID i would have rather bought the dalton and not had the dis-pleasure of tuneing this thing for 3 weeks..if you want to play with it for perfection is a great kit,if you want to just plug and play get a dalton..

Old 01-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutch Kits

hey savage, i couldnt agree w/ you more on that statement. as you remember im sure when i was tuning my h/c kit how unhappy i was w/ the gains i got and feel i got the same gain w/ my dalton spring. how you guys want to get a higher engagement spring make sure that the compund spring rate doesnt put top rpms out of the hp range and start over reving the engine.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Kits

i have often tought about trying to sell my h/c for a dalotn,but honestly i just dont want to dink with it anymore..i am the senior eng tech at the local dodge dealer and after work i just dont wat to do that kinda stuff anymore...DAMN job took my love for cars/machines away!!!

Quick Reply: Clutch Kits