Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just bought an 05 Polaris 500 ATP need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought an 05 Polaris 500 ATP need help!!!

I just bought a used 05 Polaris 500 HO ATP with only 79 miles on it.

The quad starts and runs fine, however, I noticed that there is a slight jerk in the transmission when I start applying the throttle. In addition, when I came to a stop, and tried to start moving again, the engine rev'ed up, but the machine didn't move. I switched in to Low, High, Reverse, and still nothing. I went in to Park, back in to High, and it started moving when I applied the throttle. It then drove fine for the next several minutes. However, when I went to back it in to the garage, I got halfway in, came to a stop, and the machine wouldn't move anymore. I switched the transmission through High, Low, Reverse, messed with the Turf Mode, 2WD, and AWD switch, and it then started moving again.

From what I have read so far, it sounds like a belt problem. However, I just didn't think a machine that has this few miles on it should start having the belt slip problem. I haven't taken the belt cover off yet, as I wanted to get some advice from folks on here before tearing in to it..

I used to have an '00 Magnum 325 2x4 and never had issues like this..

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bryan

Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well since im assuming its not wet from going thru any water and you didnt say it was trying to move at all, depending how much throttle you gave it, it doesnt sound like the belt is bad unless the guy who you bought from smoked the belt so bad that its totally junk. when you reved it up when you had it in gear did it start to want to move? when you put it in say forward did you feel it go in to gear? w/ the bike off and cold if you tryed to move it even w/ a bad belt the bike would attemp to move. try leaving the selector in 2x4 and not turf mode and test it again.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Check the fluid in the transmission.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

My son's ATP ate a belt already. It is also an '05. He might have had it in Turf Mode on a 10 mile stretch of trail we can do 25-30 on. Not sure. But, the belt was toast.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say there is a THIN spot on the belt that the other owner "SMOKED" it maybe he was stuck and tried getting out in high gear!!..............Caper.........

Old 01-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked the belt today and it still looks like new. I'm going to check the transmission fluid tomorrow, along with both the front and rear differentials. I'm also going to test out the turf mode and see if this issue only appears when I am trying to use it instead of 2wd or AWD.

Should Turf Mode be used in Reverse?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Bryan

Old 01-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. Well, I just fired it up again and did some testing. It seems to run fine in 2WD and AWD. The problem seems to occur only in Turf Mode. I put it in TM, drove in circles in my yard, and as soon as I let it come to a stop, I loose all power to the rear wheels. The drive shaft is turning, but no power to the wheel. As soon as I switch in to 2WD or AWD, the rear wheels engage and we start moving again.

I'm getting ready to check the fluid in the rear, but it seems that if it was a fluid issue, it would happen in all drive modes.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bryan

Old 01-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like the turf mode is messing up in the rear end. looking atthe parts break down there isnt (what i call anyways) a clutch pack. there is a fork that slides a clutch gear(they call it) that slides in and out to lock the rear end together, so maybe thats meesed up.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey Bryan i am mike i work for polaris sounds like you have a secondary cultch to tight or the wrong belt on the machine. If you can remove the secondary clutch and see how many shims are behind the clutch. Also if you can remove the cover and start the engine and see where the belt is riding on the primary clutch, which side of the sheeves the inside or outside.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I checked the rear diff. fluid, and it is about an inch below the fill plug. According to the manual, it should be level with the bottom of the plug hole.

Could this be causing the rear diff. to not stay engaged in turf mode?

Mike- I checked the belt and it is the correct part #. However, I did not get a chance to check the secondary clutch.

Thanks.

Bryan

Quick Reply: Just bought an 05 Polaris 500 ATP need help!!!