Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Be Honest!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be Honest!

Can-ams are definetly a big seller up here.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default Be Honest!

I have purchased 3 New Polaris machines since 1996. I have friends who own Hondas and Yamaha's. All of the newer ATV's are a big step up from what you could find back in 1996. My new Sportsman is light years ahead of the 250 Trail Boss that I purchased back then. I still own a 97 Express that looks almost showroom in appearance. It has seen constant use and almost 6000 miles. The motor hasn't been rebuilt and is as strong as it was new. The olny things that have ever required attention are maintance items. I need an ATV that Works hard with performance - Polaris has the perfect combination for me. Note: When I was looking for an entry level sport ATV for my son, I shopped the Honda ES250, Polaris Pheonix and Kymco Moongoose - The Mongoose won, more performance for the dollar. I'm not a Polaris appoligist, it just comes down to what I need and in a utility ATV - Polaris is King.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Be Honest!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

Yes, yes , yes, yes, yes. I'm getting ready to buy polaris quad number 5. I won't own Jap junk under any circumstances. When my friends were riding Saturday one guy broke the frame on his Grizzly. It was related to hitting a tree and bending the tie-rod a couple of years ago. The frame broke where the A-arm is attached and was fixed, then broke again during normal riding without hitting anything. The frame keeps breaking. I hit a tree on a Sp 500 and bent a tie-rod and it didn't do anything to the frame at all. It's built like a tank and the Griz is built like papier-mâché.</end quote></div>

It's probably not being fixed correctly.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Be Honest!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

It's probably not being fixed correctly.</end quote></div>

The frame shouldn't break when you bump into a tree. It shouldn't have needed a repair in the first place. Like I said, I did the same thing and bent the tie-rod on my Polaris. He broke the frame on his Yamaha. I'd rather buy a new tie-rod than a new frame. That was the correct repair, but frames are expensive, so he re-welded it. Better off using that money to buy another quad that doesn't get totalled out at the slighest little bump, than to buy a new frame for it.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Be Honest!

Originally posted by: scott1990

i am really shocked with the positive reviews of these machines.i have spent to much of my life turning wrenches on a polaris.i recieved a 96 500 sportsman as a gift and it is constantly breaking.this machine has been maintaned properly but since i have owned it i have replaced the following parts,clutch cover,belt twice,rear axle u joint,rear axle boot,rear wheel bearings,prop shaft u joint,cv boots,water pump impeller,cooling fan twice,front a arm bushings,speedometer drive cog,carb mounting bracket,camshaft,carb needle and bushing,battery twice,lower steering stem bushing. it currently needs front struts replaced,speedometer cog,front wheel bearings,tie rod ends ,rear brake rotor and i suspect secondary clutch replaced.it is now sitting in my garage waiting on the clutch removal tool to arrive so i can figure out why it is slipping so bad.this machine has been greased at all the zerk fittings religously and not abused in any way.in contrast i have a 03 kfx 400 and i have not replaced a single part or ever had one problem out of it.my sister has a honda 250 recon that is seven years old and never had the oil changed,air filter changed ,spark plug changed and it never fails to run.i have owned a lot of atvs/atcs starting in the 80s and have never owned anything close to this problematic.this polaris has become a joke in my community and i would never spend my money on a new one.i realize it was the first year for this model and the bugs take a while to work out but my kfx is a first year model and no problems at all.my 500 was in great shape when i got it and has been nothing but problems.absolute piece of crap and it i didnt enjoy working on cars/bikes/atvs i would have gave up a long time ago.this is just my opinion/experiance and i may just have a lemon but from what i see on the net this isnt an uncommon experiance with these atvs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Sprinter 10

well thats a 1996 and compared to a 2003 how is that fare? lol

-------------------------
2001 polaris 500 scrambler 2/4 K&N air filter, all skid plates, winch mount, 2,500 waterproof winch, rear rack, trailor hitch 500 sportsman engine and carb. oversized rear tires.(dirt devils) hand gaurds, heated hand grips

1998 polaris sport 400 2/4 K&N air filter. hand gaurds

NO. Belt out at 56 miles. Stator out at 274 miles. 2003 SP600. It's a POS.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Be Honest!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Sprinter 10

well thats a 1996 and compared to a 2003 how is that fare? lol

-------------------------
2001 polaris 500 scrambler 2/4 K&N air filter, all skid plates, winch mount, 2,500 waterproof winch, rear rack, trailor hitch 500 sportsman engine and carb. oversized rear tires.(dirt devils) hand gaurds, heated hand grips

1998 polaris sport 400 2/4 K&N air filter. hand gaurds
Hey Sprinter 10

Mine is a 2003...and a piece of crap!

Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Moto Psycho
Default Be Honest!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jsl55

NO. Belt out at 56 miles. Stator out at 274 miles. 2003 SP600.</end quote></div>

I don't know why you blew a belt at 56 miles when other people get thousands of miles on a belt. I'd be PO'd too if my new quad blew a belt on my first ride. It could have been a one in a million defect, IF you didn't do something wrong. I've never heard of a belt failing that soon even when it was severely abused.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Be Honest!

NO. Belt out at 56 miles. Stator out at 274 miles. 2003 SP600.</end quote></div>

I don't know why you blew a belt at 56 miles when other people get thousands of miles on a belt. I'd be PO'd too if my new quad blew a belt on my first ride. It could have been a one in a million defect, IF you didn't do something wrong. I've never heard of a belt failing that soon even when it was severely abused.</end quote></div>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't abuse it at all. The Polaris dealer in Auburn, CA did give me a new one for free (I did labor) after he called the factory. I take care of my things. Still drive a 1999 Toyota that's in VG condition. I don't think that I'm asking too much for a $7100 out the door ATV to keep running past 300 miles without having a $700 repair bill. Polaris should recall the known POS ignition systems. Read the forums, there are many reports of them going out with very low miles on ATVs & snowmobiles. Polaris knew that the ignition systems were crap. That's why they changed them 2/23/03. Unfortunately, mine was built 10/31/02.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Moto Psycho
Default Be Honest!

Originally posted by: scott1990

i am really shocked with the positive reviews of these machines.i have spent to much of my life turning wrenches on a polaris.i recieved a 96 500 sportsman as a gift and it is constantly breaking.this machine has been maintaned properly but since i have owned it i have replaced the following parts,clutch cover,belt twice,rear axle u joint,rear axle boot,rear wheel bearings,prop shaft u joint,cv boots,water pump impeller,cooling fan twice,front a arm bushings,speedometer drive cog,carb mounting bracket,camshaft,carb needle and bushing,battery twice,lower steering stem bushing. it currently needs front struts replaced,speedometer cog,front wheel bearings,tie rod ends ,rear brake rotor and i suspect secondary clutch replaced.it is now sitting in my garage waiting on the clutch removal tool to arrive so i can figure out why it is slipping so bad.this machine has been greased at all the zerk fittings religously and not abused in any way.in contrast i have a 03 kfx 400 and i have not replaced a single part or ever had one problem out of it.my sister has a honda 250 recon that is seven years old and never had the oil changed,air filter changed ,spark plug changed and it never fails to run.i have owned a lot of atvs/atcs starting in the 80s and have never owned anything close to this problematic.this polaris has become a joke in my community and i would never spend my money on a new one.i realize it was the first year for this model and the bugs take a while to work out but my kfx is a first year model and no problems at all.my 500 was in great shape when i got it and has been nothing but problems.absolute piece of crap and it i didnt enjoy working on cars/bikes/atvs i would have gave up a long time ago.this is just my opinion/experiance and i may just have a lemon but from what i see on the net this isnt an uncommon experiance with these atvs.</end quote></div>

Nobody ever gave me a lemon, but on the 4 Polaris ATVs I bought new I've had to replace some little thing every few years. They weren't 100% perfect but were close to trouble-free. I'm not counting deliberate abuse, like the thousands of dollars in damage done when they're stolen and crashed. I have a fraction of the problems my best friend has on all his Yamahas, and many people say that's a good brand. I'm not bashing either, I'm just stating the facts that I know. Yamaha is supposed to be good but Polaris has been even better.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Moto Psycho
Default Be Honest!

I don't know why you blew a belt at 56 miles when other people get thousands of miles on a belt. I'd be PO'd too if my new quad blew a belt on my first ride. It could have been a one in a million defect, IF you didn't do something wrong. I've never heard of a belt failing that soon even when it was severely abused.</end quote></div>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't abuse it at all. The Polaris dealer in Auburn, CA did give me a new one for free (I did labor) after he called the factory. I take care of my things. Still drive a 1999 Toyota that's in VG condition. I don't think that I'm asking too much for a $7100 out the door ATV to keep running past 300 miles without having a $700 repair bill. Polaris should recall the known POS ignition systems. Read the forums, there are many reports of them going out with very low miles on ATVs & snowmobiles. Polaris knew that the ignition systems were crap. That's why they changed them 2/23/03. Unfortunately, mine was built 10/31/02.</end quote></div>

You're right, you should be able to ride a lot longer than that without any repair bills at all. I always did. They did recall them for the Chinese POS ECM. They never should have outsourced them to China in the first place, where factories are full of children, slaves, and prisoners. They can't control the quality from here, of crap built overseas. I don't know what else they need to be recalled for, but all of the other big names have been recalled too. I Googled them before, and anyone else can too. Just type the brand name and the word "recall". No quad is perfect. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. I'm sorry you had bad luck this time.

Quick Reply: Be Honest!