Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris, or Honda. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris, or Honda. Why?

Hello Everyone,

I need some honest advice here. I am going to be buying my first four wheeler here soon and want a machine I'll be happy with for many years to come.

2007 Polaris Sportsman 500, or a Honda Foreman. Why?

Thank you,
Jeff

Old 02-05-2008, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

You need to compare the Ricon to a Sportsman! The Foreman is a lower feature model.
This is a Polaris forum so I'm sure we all will say Polaris.
You want EFI, water cooled and IRS! not carb, air cooled and SRA!

Just check out a dealer who carries both and compare side by side, it's easy to see the differances! The Honda looks like a toy sitting next to a Polaris.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

honda makes a nice machine don't get me wrong and i hate brand bashing.... but when i put it in 4x4 i want true 4wd... thats one of the main reasons i wont buy a honda... if i was going to buy a new machine i would go and ride anything and everything.... find what you like the best... good luck..

Old 02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: GunnSmoke

honda makes a nice machine don't get me wrong and i hate brand bashing.... but when i put it in 4x4 i want true 4wd... thats one of the main reasons i wont buy a honda... if i was going to buy a new machine i would go and ride anything and everything.... find what you like the best... good luck..</end quote></div>

i totally agree on this statement. ive ridden w/ many hondas and for the resons given i wouldnt own one. its not because thier a bad built or unreliable bike, becasue they are though. but their lack of these important features their lacking rules them out for me.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer

Your asking a question which is a matter of personal preference.
You have to consider what you'll be doing with your new quad, hard riding or just put'n around. How close to your dealer are you, and are they reputable? good service? How much $$$ do you want to spend?
If you've never ridden, then you may not have a preference on what type of suspension. When I bought mine, I prefered a straight axle, because that is what I have always ridden, but my next unit will probably be IRS after riding other peoples quads.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:28 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 500 Polaris is a DOHC that puts out 35hp the 500 Honda (475cc) is a SOHC that puts out 26 HP. Take it fom there.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The Polaris strong points are: fantastic ride (like riding a couch), good ground clearance, excellent 4wd system, easy to use and works great, great front storage under the rack, metal skid plates for those really tall obstacles, good towing numbers and rack capacities. The Honda will have: a stiffer ride due to solid rear axle with less travel, not as much ground clearance due to SRA, 3 1/2 wheel drive due to front being a limited slip, good metal racks, not sure on towing or skid plates. Above all, the Honda will be pretty bulletproof reliability-wise. I picked the X2 because I needed a 2 seater and the Polaris had the most features in my mind.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

The 500 Polaris is a DOHC that puts out 35hp the 500 Honda (475cc) is a SOHC that puts out 26 HP. Take it fom there.</end quote></div>

actually, the polaris is a SOHC also, but i thought the honda was a pushrod? i know my first new atv, honda foreman 450, was a pushrod. either way-- BIG power differences.

i admit you might do more maintenance & repair on the polaris, but it is cheaper than chiropractor visits for your back from the rough riding honda-- what are you going to use it for?

Old 02-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

Why I bought a Honda: reliability, reliability, reliabiliity, reliability, ....................

Why I switched to Polaris: IRS, actual 4x4, automatic tranmission, ground clearance, & a sportier/softer ride.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have never liked Honda. Yes they are very reliable, but I don't like the feel of them, and I hate the electronic shifter.

Quick Reply: Polaris, or Honda. Why?