Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2004 ATP 500 HO Electrial Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 ATP 500 HO Electrial Nightmare

First and foremost, thank you for all the advice I have found on here!!! You guys are the BEST!!! Already fixed my carb problem - yes, Virgina, there was a clogged jet in my 40mm Mikuni...just like Santa's little helpers said there was.

<u>Doctors - Here are the symptoms:</u>
- Electric start doesn't work, turn the key and nothing, nada, zippo, no clicking, no starter (it remains an 800lb paperweight)
- Lights won't come on when key is turned to 'hot'
- Display panel is dead with key in 'hot' or 'on' position
- Can start by recoil (with one pull thanks to this forum's advice!)...and purrrrrs like a beast! Didn't think I was going to say kitten for a 500 HO did you? :-)
- At idle the display will come on, the lights come on too, but the lights flicker like a strobe and they appear a little dim to me.
- The display will occassionally (at idle) go off and then flash back on and go to all icons visable (like a test I guess)
- If I rev the throttle at all, the display goes blank, and then when I let off the throttle, it flashes and comes back on.
<u>What I have tried -</u>
- I have cleaned all the connections (that I found)...contact cleaner, or even a couple of connections some very fine sandpaper, used dielectric grease before reconnecting and sprayed with anti-corrosion spray.
- Started the machine and wiggled all the wires to see if there was a ground in any particular section of the wiring harness (this has worked for me on other machines before, but not this time.)
- Bought a new battery, charged it up and put it in the machine, the next morning the battery had dropped to 9V. Checked the conductivity of the circuits (I can do an engine rebuilt, but the electrical stuff just stumps me everytime) The main battery cable shows 16 ohms with the key off and it drops to 6 with the key turned to the 'hot' position.
- Bought a new automatic 1.5amp battery charger with tender feature. Tired charging the new battery but can't get the battery over 10.5 volts. Charger says the battery is charges and is operational. My tester says it is OK (green light) and (questionable) yellow light, but it does not say the battery is bad (red light).
- Bought one bottle of aspirin, and one bottle of acetometaphin...neither have worked on this headache caused by this machine.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2005 Ranger that runs like a top and I have had no problems.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may sound like a ECM faulty..............Did you check for a recall on that year/model??.....Caper..........

Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Caper....I am out the door right now to go check that. Be right back with the answer. Just need to pull the serial number and go to the web site. duh, I should have thought of that one, I have read so much about the recalls.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Negative...no recalls that I could find. says the machine was manf- 08/15/2003 and the serial number didn't match. Of course I did have to run to the barn several times to double check the number (water, I need water)

Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my 2006 Sportsman was not on any list either...............I am on my third one!!..........I had funny electrical issues with mine also......
1. First factory ECM......Trouble.......when I turned my headlights on the Quad would shut off!!
2. Replacement ECM......trouble.......the fan would run without the key even in the quad!!..
it was sitting for over 4 hours and was cold.......
3. third one ...Still going............Knock on Wood!!!!!!...........

So it still may be your trouble......Can't say for sure it is.........Does the Quad run with the lights on??........................Caper..........

Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, the quad runs fine with the lights on...they still "flicker" but it runs like a demon. I stop running it when I read another thread about it frying the electrical components without a battery being in the machine.

???man this is frustrating!!???

Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, the quad runs fine with the lights on...they still "flicker" but it runs like a demon. I stop running it when I read another thread about it frying the electrical components without a battery being in the machine.

???man this is frustrating!!???

Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, the lights work with the quad running...they flicker a bit, but it runs like a demon. I stopped running the machine when I read another thread about running a polaris quad without a battery will fry electrical components. Didn't run it that much so I think I am ok...I hope

Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where is the best place to get an ECM for my 2004 Polaris ATP 500 HO??? Souds like I need to buy one to see if that is really the problem.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the ECM. The dealers are the only place I know to get one.

Quick Reply: 2004 ATP 500 HO Electrial Nightmare