Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

For the Record - What non-Polaris Fluids Can I use??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the Record - What non-Polaris Fluids Can I use??

Hey guys, I have read almost all of the Polaris forums threads that deal with tranny oil, front and rear differential fluids....and I have read many different answers what to use in the respective pieces of equipment. I would like to start using non-Polaris fluids because of their very poor customer service. I ain't going to give them any more money than I absolutely have to. That is the only thing that will get their attention. Sorry for the soap box but I get a bit angry about how they treat customers, myself included. I got the "Knuckle-Salute" from the tech at the Polaris dealership that I visited today....after telling him what the problem was he just shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't know". (Shaking my head from side to side and thinking to myself, yeah I want this guy to work on my machine at $55/hr - NOT!!!!

Now - What non-Polaris fluids can I use in the front and rear differentials, and the transmission? I have read about not adding any more than 5 oz in the AWD models...and all the discussions on angle drive fluid, the easily mixed up names on the other two types of diff fluids they sell. Are there any alternative? I have read that you can use Castrol Syntec 5W-50 for the rear diff.

My vehicle are as listed below....do I have to use different fluids for the different machines?

Help my head is spinning!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks - RickTheStick

Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

Your owners manual will tell you what you can sub in place of Polaris oils. As for the front drive hub everyone I've talked to including our polaris tech here swears not to use anything but polaris oil in the front end. It must be something special. I've ran GM tranny fluid in the tranny on my 01 500 but the tranny was different on them. The manual says GL5 80-90 weight or ALG Syn Gearcase lub for rear. The manual also says to use ALG Syn Gearcase lub for transmission oil.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

I use castrol syntec 5w-30 in the motor and tranny, castol synthetic 80-90 in the rear diff. Have not found anything else for front diff, I use the polaris hub fluid in it.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

I run amsoil in everything 5-30 in engine, I believe 75-90 gear oil in gears and sled chain case oil in the tranny. The polaris syn. oils cost to much.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wilsonoo

I run amsoil in everything...</end quote></div>

I couldn't agree more with the above excerpt. Can't go wrong with Amsoil. You should check out their website. It goes in my truck, cars, and atv's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And try not to let one A-hole get you down about Polaris products, however: it sounds like this dealer doesn't deserve your business.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

Reading my manual it says to use 0W40 in the engine, are you guys really using amisol 5w30 and having no problems?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Range Rover

Amsoil makes a 0-40 also I just picked some up

Trending Topics

Old 02-10-2008, 10:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I use 0w-40 Amsoil with a Fram CPH6607 oil filter also and in our 97 500 sportsman with 7000 miles. I use full synthetic 75w-90 in my front diff and synthetic snow machine chain case oil in the tranny. The only thing I would use that is Polaris is there Hub fluid or front diff fluid depending on your front drive set up.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Range Rover

I use 0-40W Mobile Syn in the motor and a fram 7317 filter I believe is the #. Also TLC your 2001 has a different front end that uses a different oil on the hubs than in the front diff. We only have oil in the front diffs on the 2004.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Range Rover

i use lucas 40wt gear oil in my front and rear end on my sportsman 700. its break down time is very very long..................shea........................ ..........

Quick Reply: For the Record - What non-Polaris Fluids Can I use??