Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

POLARIS 4x4 system in WINTER

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLARIS 4x4 system in WINTER

I allways stay in AWD most of the time when riding....the front are alot lighter compare to most of the company out there.....so is very easy to turn.....and a lot tighther than the other......but I think the Hilliard diff made a lot of difference. I like it a lot. You can feel the difference between stock Carlisle 489 tire and my terracross when you it the trotle....the back wheel are less slippery.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I don't like this setup in the winter because i fishtail a lot and my front diff engages even when the AWD is OFF. It does this because it gets so much centrifical force from the rear wheels spinning 20+ mph and then the front "locks" in even without the magnet powered up. I do like to horse around some, but i have to be careful. It also stinks to hold the override button when you are backing up from plowing. It does provide good traction though-- just wish I had the option of 4x4, AWD, and 3x4.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just override the button and no more holding it. ive been lucky i guess as its never kicked in on me when im spinning in 2x4 in the mud which should be the same as the snow.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

Fishtail a lot......good world. I do most of my miles in winter trail system here. I talk a lot with other member and I mean A LOT don't like FISHTAIL the way POLARIS do......AGAIN....any of you experience 2 lbs of air presure more up front tire than the rear ???? I have to try it next weekend...

Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Range Rover

If your rear tires are kicking in that much more than the front when in awd then it sounds as if the tire height is a bit unequal. Also if you're going faster than 20mph or so when it engages it doesn't engage quite the same as it does at slower speeds. I've had 3 polaris atvs in the past 5 years and I've never had it still want to fishtail if it's in 4x4. I've also never had mine engage while in 2wd. I've done many donuts and make it a point to do them everytime it snows.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: onesavage

what i dont like is on ice/snow in 2wd if you hammer on it the 4wd will kick in .. there is NOTHING wrong with my frt end i have ahd it apart serverl times and so has my dealer,they tell me its normal..well last time i did a doughnut the frt end kicked in it flipped me and my foot got crushed betwwen a large rock and the floor board ... normal my a$$</end quote></div>

4wd only kicks in if you have the switch in AWD! If it is kicking into 4wd with the switch in 2WD you have a problem! No it's not normal.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quad 4

OK...

I love my X2 and don't want to think about all the working factor I miss all those years...

My question is....The POLARIS 4x4 system compare to ALL THE OTHER ONE I HAD in the past ......work well BUT when you hit the trottle, the rear wheel want to slide all the time like a 2 Wheels machine ( not a big deal but ). It take while to used "mellow" the trottle in WINTER GROOM TRAIL.....

add a lb or two air psi to the front tires

What you guy have to said...</end quote></div>

Old 02-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

On groom trail I go 30 to 40 miles/hours most of the time.....each time I just make a little more trottle ( not hit the trottle ) aply more trottle.....I fishtail a little. I put 5 lbs on each wheels.....did the same. 5 lbs front, 4 rear did the same, 4 lbs on each wheel did the same. Next try was 6 lbs front and 4 rear.....will see what happend. In slow pace 15 miles/ hrs and less I feel less the fishtail effect, but it did it. Anyway I have to use to it....I like my X2 twice than my OUTLANDER 650 max.

Ho....yes I want to try also with scew on all 4 tires.....see what happend ...

Old 02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Just because the AWD has kicked in doesn't mean the rears wont spin. It just means the front are pulling ALSO! They may not be spinning like the rears, but they ar pulling while the rears are spinning. Get off the throttle a bit and let the rears get traction and when that happens the fronts will disengage.

The fronts engage when the rears turn 20% faster and this will change if the tires have been upgraded to a larger size.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

With AWD on, the rear wheels should not "spin" before the front wheels lock in. If your AWD system is working properly, when the rear wheels start going faster, the front wheels will engage within 1/5 of a tire rotation. So if you're fishtailing under acceleration, I'd say it's due to one of the following:

You're not in AWD.

Your AWD is not working properly.

You're "sliding" under very little traction and not actually fishtailing due to the rear wheels spinning.

Quick Reply: POLARIS 4x4 system in WINTER