Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is your carbed wheeler cold blooded?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008 | 10:19 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Is your carbed wheeler cold blooded?

In the last three weeks I have seen three four wheelers with factory set carbs, with the little brass plugs in the air-fuel mixture screws, they were all cold blooded, I drilled a hole in the brass plugs, screwed a sheet metal screw in them and pulled them out, the first air-fuel screw was one turn out, the next was one and a half the last one was closed completely, I cant believe it would even run!, I set them all at 2.5 turns out and they will start wthout the choke till it gets below 20 degrees aqnd they run much better. Check it out.

Old 02-16-2008 | 10:24 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

three 4-wheelers?........All the same models or makes?.......Caper........

Old 02-16-2008 | 10:28 PM
|
Pro Rider

A polaris 700, a polaris 500 and a yamaha 660 grizzley, ther is some little china dude at the mukini factory setting them.

Old 02-16-2008 | 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

Most of the singles that I have seen are ok in the cold. The twins really seem to suffer. One twin that did not was my friend's 700 carb. That thing started as good as my efi model in the cold, and ran good too.

My choice is to go with the EFI and never worry about how it runs in the cold.

Old 02-16-2008 | 10:34 PM
|
Pro Rider

Both of mine will start and run without the choke unless its real cold out, polaris sent out a service bulletin a few years ago , thats what started me checking it , from what I see theres a problem somewhere.

Old 02-16-2008 | 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

my 500 scrambler with the sportman engine and carb starts right up up whenever never have to choke it or crank it more than 4 revolutions i set teh carb at 2 and 5/8 and the coldest i started it was 10 degrees sofare thats the coldest i reamember it getting when i ran it.

Old 02-18-2008 | 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

My 600 Twin is cold blooded, so much so that I have to warm it up in the summer!!!! I have to choke it for many minutes in the winter before she warms up. Never have problem getting it started, starts right up, but can't ride it for a few minutes. It won't respond to the throttle until warm.

Kerbbirds.....what are these brass plugs located that you are referring to? Did you put anything back in their place?

Old 02-18-2008 | 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BeerTruck

My 600 Twin is cold blooded, so much so that I have to warm it up in the summer!!!! I have to choke it for many minutes in the winter before she warms up. Never have problem getting it started, starts right up, but can't ride it for a few minutes. It won't respond to the throttle until warm.

Kerbbirds.....what are these brass plugs located that you are referring to? Did you put anything back in their place?</end quote></div>

mine was the same exact way, until i put a jet kit on it. now it runs like an efi model. definitely worth the money.

Old 02-18-2008 | 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

I second the Jet Kit, worth every penny!

Old 02-18-2008 | 10:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

WHAT JET KIT DID YOU PUT ON YOURS AS I AM HAVING THE SAME TROUBLE WITH MINE?

Quick Reply: Is your carbed wheeler cold blooded?