Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is your carbed wheeler cold blooded?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008 | 12:00 AM
Trailblazer
Default Is your carbed wheeler cold blooded?

You guys are talking about frigid temps. I'm in Texas, my thermometer doesn't go that low. I'm talking about a beautiful 50 - 60 degree day, I still have to let it warm up for many minutes before I get positive throttle response.

Old 02-20-2008 | 07:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Same here. I'm in GA and it doesn't really matter what temp it is, the Trail Boss is STILL extremely cold natured.

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:00 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: camrider

Same here. I'm in GA and it doesn't really matter what temp it is, the Trail Boss is STILL extremely cold natured.</end quote></div>

Yep, even if it's 80º it still takes a few minutes to warm up.

After that first ride in the morning, it's good for the rest of the day.

Old 02-21-2008 | 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

My Scrammy starts decent when cold, and usually has to idle for about 30 sec. before it responds to the throttle. After that, how long should I let it warm up before taking off. I usually let it sit while I go inside the garage and put my helmet and gloves on, and then it seems to run great, but I don't know if it needs more time or not, for engine care purposes.

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:32 AM
Range Rover

Was 2.5 turns out a standard for all 3 bikes? Why have a choke/enrichener if you do not want to use it? It is cool to richen the mixture in cold weather, but I would be worried about performance and long term maintenance, if you purposly run a rich mixture through the entire throttle range, all the time. The plugs still burning clean?

Other factors effect cold weather starts, i.e. valve adjustment, battery strength, electrical system
Also, did you play with the mixture by adjusting for proper idle? There are some great posts on here that walk you through setting the mixture. Then it is usually a bump rich in cold weather, or a bump lean in hot. You may have done all this, if so forget this post.

Old 02-21-2008 | 12:16 PM
Range Rover

Sheessh, my wifes '03 Trail boss has the coldest blood I've ever seen in an ATV! I drilled the pilot adj plug out last week and adjusted it between 2 (factory) and 2.5 out. Didn't do any good as far as being cold natured and the carb on that thing is one SOB to get to. Polaris engineers ought to be castrated!!</end quote></div>

Oh I second that! I just bought an 03 TB and had to clean the carb because it sat for a long time with gas in the carb...... Getting that thing out is a project....front rack off, side plastic off, front fenders off, fuel tank sorta off held it up with rope. Snorkels off.....I'm sure I'm forgeting something???? the thing is really cold nosed..... takes forever to warm up. I'm thinking I should have installed a jet kit while I had it apart.....

Old 02-21-2008 | 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought the DynoJet kit for my SP700. Can someone describe how to remove the carb on this twin engine? The local dealer said "go down through the airbox" but looking at how things are arranged under there, it's not clear at ALL that I can even get to the carb. It's forward of the airbox, under parts of the airbox as well as another stiff plastic tube of some sort and a couple of metal brackets.

Any advice from those of you that have actually installed one of these jet kits would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2008 | 03:28 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Sandman2.0

Sheessh, my wifes '03 Trail boss has the coldest blood I've ever seen in an ATV! I drilled the pilot adj plug out last week and adjusted it between 2 (factory) and 2.5 out. Didn't do any good as far as being cold natured and the carb on that thing is one SOB to get to. Polaris engineers ought to be castrated!!</end quote></div>

Oh I second that! I just bought an 03 TB and had to clean the carb because it sat for a long time with gas in the carb...... Getting that thing out is a project....front rack off, side plastic off, front fenders off, fuel tank sorta off held it up with rope. Snorkels off.....I'm sure I'm forgeting something???? the thing is really cold nosed..... takes forever to warm up. I'm thinking I should have installed a jet kit while I had it apart.....</end quote></div>

Almost seems like a few more bolts, and you can just pull the motor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]