Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 800 EFI (Weak Shocks?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:51 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Polaris 800 EFI (Weak Shocks?)

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a Demo 2007 model with approx 500 miles on it, It's still late winter and we don't have much snow here so we have tried it out a few times...

The last weekend we had 7 bikes and 10 people and had a great ride.

I noticed previously the shocks seemed kinda weak especially with my wife and I both on it. I purchased some of the Polaris rubber spacers to put in the rear springs but it still squated almost 100% of the way and generally doesn't rebound back up like the other bikes do.

Another thing that seems weird is the back tires both slant in on the top and out on the bottom when looking at it from the rear while another person is on it... quite noticable really.

Is the slanted wheels even with 1 person on it, and shocks squating all the way down while the setting is set on high "Normal?"

The local shop has a new bike there and the suspension is hard as can be, need both hands and lift the feet off the ground just to budge it, yet my bike goes up and down like nothing, and with 2 passangers it is flat instead of riding high on the suspension.

Thoughts?

It's still on warranty so i wanted to push the issue if it's wrong... the slanted wheels seems odd but looking at the suspension type that more less looks normal, I think it's just weak springs.

Vince

Old 02-19-2008 | 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

i think the suspention if fine just sounds like week springs maby they used it to tow some heavy trailors with other atvs or something on them i don't think it should squat like that.

Old 02-20-2008 | 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Well if you're looking to get new springs you can look here..

https://www.erlandsonperformance.com...gory_Code=susp

John

Old 02-20-2008 | 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

My springs are stiff even under the softest setting.

Old 02-20-2008 | 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

Vince - Did you adjust the rear shocks before the spacers? Mine would squat really bad when I accelerated hard but a few clicks to stiffen and it helped alot. I tried the spacers on the front but it was too stiff for me when hitting dips on the trail with any speed. I think these springs are fairly soft anyway to provide a plush ride but yours sounds a little too soft.

Good Luck.

Old 02-20-2008 | 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Shocks only dampen the action of your suspension travel. The coil-over springs are what holds you up. I'd look into stiffer springs. Those spring spacers are pretty much junk.

Old 02-20-2008 | 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Hey floodrunner it's good to see you here again...I haven't seen you in a while......How's business?

John

Old 02-20-2008 | 12:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

depends on the weight thats been on the bike as well for the 500 miles. the spring rate is adjustable by turning the collar w/ a spanner wrench. it has like 5 to 7 settings to stiffen it up. when the wait is on the bike, yes the tires wil do that some.the more the heavy load the more it toes in at the top.if you have alot of weight between your wife and your self(not trying to be rude at all) you may need to up grade to heavy shocks as mentioned.

Old 02-20-2008 | 02:48 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks Everyone, I'm going to look into replacing the springs (I think I inheratid a weak spring from the previous owner but I doubt polaris will change them out for me so i'll end up paying for more)

I'm going to look into the X2 spring I was quoted around the $80.00 mark per spring (Canadian) I don't want to void warranty or anything but i'm thinking that is on the high side for a spring.

I know it needs to be done though, the spring setting is as high as it will go also to answer that in some of the previous questions.

Thanks,
Vince

Old 02-20-2008 | 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

is yours a 2up ?

Quick Reply: Polaris 800 EFI (Weak Shocks?)