Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.
View Poll Results: how many of you had this problem of spinning teh weels in 2/4 and then the 4/4 pops in with the swit
I have heard of this
25.81%
i have/had this problem
48.39%
no clue
25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

question about sportsmans

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about sportsmans

I've only had my SP for about a month, but had it on the ice quite a bit in that month and was able to do some wicked doughnuts on it without the front engaging.

Not sure it would be a dealbreaker for me. Most people like the Polaris AWD for the very reason you are saying its a problem. Im a noob to all this though so take it with a big ol chunk of salt.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

no problems, just a click....

i love the AWD system

Old 05-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>[i]Originally posted by: trailbound[/i
Trailbound......Sorry to open this old post,But need to ask a Quastion about this......
Do you think the Static Elect. can be de-magnetized so the Plate will not be pulled in in this manner?
Thanks......I have this problem now with my 2006 Sp 450.....
I wonder if changing the fluid will help?
....Caper.........

The first diff with the centralized engagement came on the 2002 sp 700. There were alot of problems with this. I personally blew up the roller cage in mine. Replaced it and at the same time polaris had made a change in the 2003 diff with a different part. (the armature plate) I put that one in, and no more problem. The newer ones have the new plate, an adjustment on them, and the newer ones yet, 2007, have the front drive shaft comming into it at a different angle which I was told reduces vibration and static elcetricity/friction.

My mechanic told me it happended because the excess vibration and static electricity would engaging the magnet in the front diff even with the power/electric current turned off to it with the switch which would thus engfage the AWD with the switch in the off position and rear tires already spinning at 30+ mph.

Just what I was told a few years back.</end quote></div>

Old 05-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done so many donuts, so fast, on ice that when I quit I fall over and it looks like I'm halucinating. Everything looks like it's melting because my eyes don't focus for a couple of minutes. I've never had a problem with the hubs engaging in 4x2. I know one guy who says he blew up one side of his Srcammy front-end when it popped in. He's an @$$hole and a pathological liar, but may be telling the truth about that.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 450 Sp is up on blocks right now in the garage.........ALL 4 WHEELS ARE TURNING IN 2X4......
........Caper.................

Old 05-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I have rebuilt mine 3 times and this time I got in touch with Hilliard and talked enough that they sent me a brand new one for free. I installed the new front end and put it up on the jack and gave it some gas and all 4 wheels went to spinning. I have givin up on it, I just ride. I have done a million searches and have read a million complaints and talked to lawyers. The lawyers say that it would take a lot of time and money. We had a local go to west virginia and drove off the side of a mountain and died. His family went to persue a lawsuit and settled out of court. Imagine that! Do some searches and you will see for your self. All you have to do is go to google and type in polaris awd problems. Polaris claims that they have never heard of this problem, how about the settlemant, I bet they know about that.