Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Weird gas leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird gas leak

OK guys.........really can't figure this one out. I bought an 03 Trailboss 330 and it had sat awhile. Carb was really dirty, pilot plugged solid. I cleaned the entire carb with carb cleaner, blew out all orifices, installed new jets, adjusted float height, installed new needle/seat/oring. Checked needle and seat for leakage......no problem. Machine starts and runs great.... but I get a small amount of gas out the vent tube only when its ridden. I can idle it and rev it and no gass out the tube at all. Take it for a ride then stop and I get a few drips. I'm wondering if its just from the gas splashing around in the bowl when it ridden. I've heard a few others that have this problem. Looking at the vent tube.....its really discolored from fuel and looks like it may have always done this......... Kind of stumped....I don't thing a vacumm type fule pump can over come the seat as an electronic one can. It doesn't affect running in any way. I've read about a few 4 stroke KTM models also having the same issue.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Weird gas leak

i know in the past on one of my bikes i had the same type issue but it didnt leak while sitting or when shut off so since a few drops didnt seem to efect anythink i let it go and it stopped doing it on its own. if its not flooding it out then the float is most likely set right and like you said maybe spashing gas.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird gas leak

Thanks Stendori

I checked the float about a zillion times as it is a real PIA to get the carb off. Splashing fuel is the only thing that I can think of since everything is cleaned, adjusted and replaced.