Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

POLARIS CLUTCHING

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLARIS CLUTCHING

ok 99 scrambler 500 4x4
i put new primary spring in it which is a red one....
should i do anything with weights if so what???
also what color secondary you guys recommend or leave it alone????

Old 03-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

depends on your elevation, what you want out of all of it, what each spring brings to the table, a lot of variables involved, if the red spring gives you more top end, then if you wanna gain more top end, put heavier weights in it. if you wanna gain some of your bottom end back, put lighter weights in it.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just remember, when you gain in one you may loose in the other.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you say a "red' spring but what brand?All companies use differant rated springs and color codes.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

I got a epi red primary clutch spring... and i found a polaris red SECONDARY spring dirt cheap brand new from a buddy that is a polaris would it be a good choice??? i just want to get more low end snappy and still want to have some top end tho....... i also am getting new buttons so i want to do this stuff before i put my new belt cover on....

Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

you should be setting good on the primary spring with the stock weights.you dont want the red polaris secondary spring it is a lighter spring tha the stock one.You need either the Aaen blue or HPD violet.EPI Purple would be ok but not as good as the others

Old 03-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

will this help alot with the midrange and top its pretty good out of the hole just doggy on midrange and top end...

Old 03-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Quad Patrol

It should but you really need a tach to tell whats really going on

Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Did you look into the HPD airbox mod and jetkit? When I was trying diff. springs all I noticed was pull from the start and nothing changed in the mid to upper. I then got a tach to try and fix it but it was shifting out right at the spot it was supposed to. The only thing for me that really changed the mid to upper was the HPD airbox/jetkit mod. I also have a Whitebros. slip-on exhaust.

With a tach you kind of need a dyno on your quad to get the most out of tunning. You need to know what rpm your peek HP is produced.

If you don't have a tach to test the results of your changes you need to set up a drag strip 50yds or until you feel your quad is close to top speed. Have a guy time you like 6-10 runs and take the average. then make changes and repeat. You will see a pattern of how the changes effected your times. A gps will help to get your top speed as you can set the gps to save the top speed you reach each run. Make sure you let off as soon as you pass the timer guy.

This is the best way to get best results. Seems like alot. I did alot of research to find out how to fine tune the clutch. In the end I decided to just buy a kit. Most of the places that sell clutch kits sell the parts they designed the clutch to work the best with. I went with HPD and the result was way better than guess work and trial and error.

You can easily change your engagement but when you start changing weights you need to know what you are doing.

Best advice is if you want mid to upper results, save up and buy the premade kits that are avail. with the other mods from the same manufacturer.

Don't forget to get a new belt if you havn't already. I am not sure how your quad pulls through the midrange but it could be a warn belt. Good luck with what you decide to do. Alteast check out HPDs website as they have some nice graphs to show how your 500 revs ect..

Old 03-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Trailblazer

Ok well heres what it does.. it snaps out of the whole goes decent for little time then just revs but dont go the way it seems..... then when i let off in back fires so something is messed up in the carb but what???? its clean i just cleaned it... its wierd.. i think my 02 blaster will smoke it lol..... the scrambler only has 800 miles on it.... Could the secondary buttons cause it to do this then??? it seems like when i had the belt cover off and rode it and watched clutches the secondary vlutch did all the work and the belt didnt move up in the primary very much until you let off and crack on it again....... i put new primary clutch in with new red spring and the stock weights....

Quick Reply: POLARIS CLUTCHING