Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hawkeye Nighmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008 | 09:25 PM
Range Rover
Default Hawkeye Nighmare

I bought two of these for my kids. both had the same symptons that you describe. Re-jetting fixed them. both have about 450 miles w/o problems. I haven't heard about any airbox mods.

Old 03-16-2008 | 09:26 PM
Range Rover
Default Hawkeye Nighmare

I bought two of these for my kids. both had the same symptons that you describe. Re-jetting fixed them. both have about 450 miles w/o problems. I haven't heard about any airbox mods.

Old 03-16-2008 | 09:27 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default Hawkeye Nighmare

The no start may be the ETC - electronic throttle control. Its in the box on the right where the throttle is. May just need the cable adjusted. Describe the "no start". Does it turn over and try to run but wwhen you let go of the throttle= stops?

Old 03-16-2008 | 09:29 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default Hawkeye Nighmare

Have you had the air filter off it?

Old 03-16-2008 | 09:30 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Hawkeye Nighmare

No, it actually acts as though there is no spark. It turns but will not start or even give the appearance of wanting to star. There is nothing - just cranking and cranking and cranking.

Old 03-16-2008 | 09:33 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Hawkeye Nighmare

I have had the air filter off to clean it (not that it was very dirty).

Old 03-16-2008 | 09:33 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default Hawkeye Nighmare

Further about the air filter. The hawkeye's filter has one open end that should go towards the carb and a blocked off end that should face to the rear. IT CAN BE PUT ON BACKWARDS and it won't start. I've done this.

Old 03-16-2008 | 09:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Hawkeye Nighmare

I am running out to the garage to check the filter right now!!

Old 03-16-2008 | 09:36 PM
Range Rover
Default Hawkeye Nighmare

can you smell gas when cranking

Old 03-16-2008 | 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hawkeye Nighmare

Well actually the Hawkeye was jetted just fine if you ride in most areas of the US, but as the elevation increases the proper jetting changes also, and in many cases, this rejetting wasn't done before delivery of the bike. As Mongrol noted, (and he should know since he has had his '06 longer then most of us), the dealer is responsible for this upgrade, just as they should be and have been for all carbed machines leaving their show room!
In this case, the Hawkeye seems to be a bit more sensitive to elevation and climate changes then other Polaris machines, maybe due to the new clutch setup and the way it is geared. While I haven't needed to rejet my Hawkeye, (my tech actually told me not to and he was right on! Mine has run just fine all winter down to 5* f with just a bit of choke to get it warmed up, and now since the temp is in the 40s, I don't even choke it to start).
I did change the clutch rollers to adjust the engagement RPMs when I added the 25" Mudlites for the winter with excellent results, it now better matches the clutch RPMs to the power band of the engine making for much better bottom end pull and crisper acceleration!
All of this information, (rejetting, airbox mod, clutch mod), is available to your dealer through service bulletins he has received from Polaris and they should have no problem getting your Hawkeye set up right if they have ANY mechanical knowledge at all, or maybe more importantly in this case, any desire to make your Hawkeye run right!
I do hope you can get your problems with your Hawkeye resolved, you will be amazed at just how good this little machine can be when set up right!

Quick Reply: Hawkeye Nighmare