Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

pipe discs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pipe discs

If you dont run at leeast the recomended number you stand a chance of burning valves

Old 03-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pipe discs

thanks for the info guys.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default pipe discs

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ftwflh

If you dont run at leeast the recomended number you stand a chance of burning valves</end quote></div>

I thought there was a risk of burning the exhaust valve is you ran too many discs without rejetting.

Running fewer than the recommended minimum shouldn't hurt the engine, but will hamper performance. If the exhaust system is too restrictive, the engine will not be able to breathe, or exhale properly I should say, and power will top out very early in the rev range.

I added a Benz ATV Silencer to my 800 and while it made it nice and quiet, it added so much back pressure that it didn't want to go over 25-30 mph.

Not an expert on this, but I have "experimented" a lot. So this is JMO. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default pipe discs

I have one on my 2004 SP700 carb and started it with whatever number came on it (can't remember now). It was too loud for my ears, so I took it down to 4-5 disks. That quieted it down and it now feels like a good balance between power and sound level.

Performance-wise, the muffler made a small difference. A much bigger difference came from my DynoJet kit - now THAT made a HUGE difference in behavior (at least at the low end - takeoff is almost scary now).

I haven't had the chance to take it out and run it at mid and high throttle yet, so I may find that the new jetting causes the muffler disk count to be adjusted again.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pipe discs

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ftwflh

If you dont run at leeast the recomended number you stand a chance of burning valves</end quote></div>

I thought there was a risk of burning the exhaust valve is you ran too many discs without rejetting.

Running fewer than the recommended minimum shouldn't hurt the engine, but will hamper performance. If the exhaust system is too restrictive, the engine will not be able to breathe, or exhale properly I should say, and power will top out very early in the rev range.

I added a Benz ATV Silencer to my 800 and while it made it nice and quiet, it added so much back pressure that it didn't want to go over 25-30 mph.

Not an expert on this, but I have "experimented" a lot. So this is JMO. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

By incressing the back preasure you will burn a valve due to heat build up in the combustion chamber.he jetting issue will burn a valve too but from buenning too hot