Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Found out a sp800 will float

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found out a sp800 will float

my sportsman 500 will float with me not on it fine but i also have 27's and i have also done the water wheelie before when i was in a creek and all of a sudden the bottom
dropped out on me i kept it pinned and it pulled like a boat over to the bank and i was able to climb out.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

afternoon Boys.
Ya know, There was one time last year when I hit a deep spot and only had bout 10' to go and when I made it I told my buddy "I think this thing just floated", and we both laughed and moved on. I forgot about that. I crossed it again bout a month later and I had a lady on the back (X-2) And I thought it floated then also but I never said anything. I never knew these did. BUT,,,, the water never covered the gas tank. Maybe half way. And I'm not sayin it floated, I'm just sayin it felt like it , kinda,, maybe,,

Old 04-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Oil, to a lot of us the whole kick of ATVs is the fact that we can do some crazy things on them and it is OK!
In the real world we have to go to work on time and make a living so we can take care of the wife, kids, dog, house, cars, truck and all the other responsibilities that go along with being a grown up!
On the quad, once in a while all of that fades away and we get the opportunity to get a little crazy...some much more then others! LOL!

We all have our own definition of "crazy"!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

From what I've seen, the only people who intentionally submerge their ATVs are the ones who've put snorkel kits on them. There are some who do it because they're stupid and don't care, but there are others who it just happens to. Sometimes you just end up in water thats deeper than you thought. I'm sure this was the case with upnort. There's a guy I ride with who thinks I beat my machine because I will go places on it that he won't. Truth is I care a lot about my ATV and take good care of it as well, so I don't beat on it. But I do like to "ride" and the more technical the better.

I do agree though that a lot of people beat on their ATVs. That's why I will never buy a used one.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

Yes thats another good thing about Polaris Atvs they will float when the planets are in line, that front storage area acts as a float, the tool kit area is empty space, anything that has sealed type space will will work as a float for a short period of time, the tires also if bigger than stock will act as a float as well, the Hawkeye did float once with me on it , all i had to do was pull back on the bars and give it all it had and it crawled out on the other side.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 330 TB with 25" tires and it will float with me on it. I had friend stand in the water and he pulled the rack and it was floating with my 230 pound fat but on it. Only problem is if it tips very far it goes belly up quick. Done that at least five times. It's cool because we can walk them through deep water holes to take shortcuts. We get on each side to keep it from flipping and walk it across and keep riding.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

One thing is for sure, "Boats are designed to FLOAT but Boats CAN and DO SINK!"
I am sure Buoyancy is a key element cuz even our Quads will rotate fully back or moreover
to the side or belly!

What was that basketball Reneck solution thread, LOL.

R'

Old 04-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont know for sure myself, but im sure the deep water has an effect over long term exposeure on the whole bike like the non greaseable bearing wand what not so playing in deep water all the time , tome will kill the life of the bike parts. imo.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Just using it will wear it out quicker.
Got it to enjoy, although floating for the most part was a bit too enjoyable.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I try to steer clear of water. I have not taken any on yet in the belt. I ride my machine very hard and over maintenance it...... for some reason reading what has been said about belt slippage and things like that with the Polaris ATVs, I am cur as they come when it comes to riding through seat high creeks. My brother blows through things that I would never ever do on a 1987 Honda 250X.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Not that it's a big deal but it looks like a lot of fun!!

Quick Reply: Found out a sp800 will float