Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500popo

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500popo

Willie,

Polaris actually started making their own winches last year (instead of having Warn make them). So I guess I'll be the guinea pig...I'll be sure to let you guys know if I have any issues. I figure that if I'm going to smoke the thing or something it'll happen in the first year and there's a free replacement warranty (instead of repair) in that time period so it can't hurt (although I think I'd take the store credit and use it toward a Warn if that happened)...plus, the guy included it on my wheeler. Here's the video from the Polaris website - click on "More Info" and you'll see the link to the video...highest HP rating in the 2500 lbs class.

http://www.purepolaris.com/Detail.aspx?ItemID=2875879

Old 04-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 500popo

That looks like a sturdy winch to me. I like how they are pulling a Rhino out of the mud... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 500popo

That was my favorite part of the video, Moose!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 500popo

Well Matlax it sound's like you got a good deal on the 2500 lb. Polaris Winch , i would go that way with the 1 year replacement Warn doesn't offer that good of a warranty ; i see 2 Warn Winch's in my Northern wholesale catalog !

They had a sale event last week that ended sunday , the nearest store to me is a little over 50 miles ; and they had everything in the store marked off 10 percent during the sales event !

1. was a Warn Works 1700 DC Powered Utility Winch rated at 1.6 HP for $119.99 2. was a Warn Works 3700 DC Powered Winch rated at 1.9 HP for $369.99 plus 10 percent Discount during the sales event , but there's no mention of how long of a Granttee ; these were the best price during the sales event !

The SuperWinch 2000 lb. was marked down from $179.99 to $149.99 but there's no listing for the HP rating or warranty info on the SuperWinch , the 2500 lb. SuperWinch that came on my 86' Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 held up good for me over 18 years ; and after i sold the Foreman to my brother in Nov. 2005 he had to take the ground wire loose and sand off the corrosion from the frame to get it working again !

AC offers a Winch for their quad's now , but they're built by Warn Works ; only the AC name is branded to the Wicnh i think they offer a 1 yr. warranty with it and offer a renewal for a fee for each additional yr. after that so good luck and i hope your's last's as long as the SuperWinch did on the Honda !.......

Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 500popo

Speaking of Warn winches, my buddy and I were out yesterday and I hooked onto his winch to get out of a hole (a deep, deep hole) and when he first started pulling his winch was very weak and then it went into freewheel mode. We were messing around with the "wheel" on the right side that selects freewheel or engaged mode but couldn't get it to engage. The motor was running fine, we just couldn't get it to engage. Anyone seen this? Any ideas before he has to bring it to the dealer? Thanks.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 500popo

Matlax Warn Works had a recall last year on the 2500 lb. model , it was something about the winch drawing juice from the battery when the engine was turned off ; they were offering a repair kit or a replacement on this certain model !

It was something electrical that was draing the battery , i've never had a Warn Works Winch before and i was the only one in our group who had a Winch , so i was the one who had to pull out anyone who got stuck in the group ; i had to go around the stuck quad's in water and mud deeper than the stuck quad to pull them forward through the hole they were stuck in !

My old 86' Foreman would go where my cousin buried his Big Bear and Kodiak , he got stuck in his old track's made the last time we rode the swamp's ; his Yamaha's were all FIS his brotherinlaw bought his first quad a Honda TRX 250 2x4 and he never got stuck on the 2x4 !

Fact is he pulled my Foreman when i got stuck in this swamp where no one had gone before , the only type of Winch he had was a boat trailor hand crank Winch and when he did get stuck he carried an old axle from a car ; and a 5 pound sledge hammer to drive it into the ground when he couldn'r find a tree to hook the cable to !

I got stuck more on my 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 King Quad than i did on the Foreman , and the KQ had FIS and a diff locker on it ; the wheel base was so narrow i would get stuck in the track's my cousin made with his Big Bear and Kodiac but the TRX250 2x4 he sold his brother inlaw would just drive on through these same track's !

Well Matlax good luck with the Winch , i hope it last's you a lifetime with no problem's at all ; if Polaris has started making their own i'm sure they looked at the Warn and how it was built and made their's stronger than the Warn Works !

So far i haven't gotten stuck on my 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 , but it's so dry here in North Ga. there's not much mud to get stuck in, of course i haven't been down to the swamp's since i got the Cat ; where the Beaver pond's that they Dam up the creek every year so i don't know how much water is in the creek !.....