Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Warn Winch

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn Winch

i have only had my warn (1.5ci) for about 1 year mounted on my hawkeye. a couple of months ago i was having a problem with it slipping so i took it back to the dealer to get it checked out.. they found that the exterior case was split around the area where the free spool switch is... they called me yesterday and said it was $40 for the part and $30 for labor...
now warn has a 1 year warranty that covers any "real" manufacturers defects not the use and abuse we could put on them.. now i wouldent see how the cracked housing would be from wear and tear and would think that it would be covered...
i guess what im getting at is should i tell the dealer i dont mind paying for his labor but the parts should be covered or am i just wrong???
thanks
gunnsmoke

Old 04-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Warn Winch

I would contact Warn directly they will probobly give you better sevice even though you might end up fixing it youself. I here from allot of people that say Warn realy takes good care of there customer's!!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warn Winch

its too late for that.. i took it to the dealer thinking that's what he would do but i guess he just ordered the parts (4 weeks ago).. now i am in the situation that he called me and said that he has it fixed and ready to go... he said 40 bucks in parts and 1 hour labor that comes to about $80 total...
im just wondering if im wrong for thinking that the parts should be covered under the warranty

Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Warn Winch

I would still call Warn and see what they have to say they might even reimburse you but don't quote me on that!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warn Winch

i dont hold anyone to anything except for my self... life lessons i gues.... but i much appreciate your input

Old 04-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Warn Winch

check the warranty date and see if its in the warranty period. if so its worth asking them whay its not under warranty? did you tell him to fix it or ask if it was under warranty in the first place?

Old 04-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warn Winch

when i burnt up my 2.5ci the dealer replaced my motor free of charge..did not cost me a dime it was about 11 moths old at the time,4 years old now and just a strong as day one!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warn Winch

As with everything ATV, I firmly believe that this all comes back to what kind of dealer you have! Dealers are limited as to what they can charge for warrantee labor and generally don't get commission on warrantee parts, so your dealer is either going to try to make you happy and go to bat for you OR he is going to try to make more money off of you! Most manufacturers have to trust the judgment of the dealers that they sell product through and will take their word for it...

Old 04-26-2008, 06:47 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Default Warn Winch

When a warranty situation like this occurs, I have never understood why a dealer takes the chance of loosing the next sale to the customer over a $40 part and an hr labour.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default Warn Winch

well i picked up my winch on friday and with the oil and filter it added up to $100. i thought that the dealer was sending it out to an autorized repair center but i guessed wrong.. there was a hairline fracture in the outter case where the freespool switch is.. guess not covered by warranty

now the contactor/sylenoid (sp) is shot.. i sent off an e-mail this morning to warn telling them what my problem(s) is (are)... i have checked out the warn contactors but they look nothing like the one that i have now.. mine has all with wires (red, black, blue, yellow and i cant remember the colors for the rocker switch and the plug to the winch. the "aftermarket ones are just a black box with the terminals for power and 2 plugs for the rocker switch.. this would look like crap if you ask me.. i like the neat little "package" deal you get with the polaris/warn set-up...

so i guess now i will be sending my contactor and the broken cover back to warn to see if i can get some money back for broken case and a new or repaired sylenoid

guess i should have bougt a gorilla because i could at least have had about 4 of them for the money i have shelled out so far...

Quick Reply: Warn Winch