Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2 winches - same rocker switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 winches - same rocker switch

got a second winch for my Sportsman 08, 800cc, which I plan to mount on the hitch. It came with the hitch plate. It is a Costco winch (Champion) and I would like to be able to work it with my warn rocker switch when it is mounted.

Someone would be kind enough to explain to me the connections. I imagine I would need to install a switch on the pod to switch between winches, but it stops there! do I need to install a second contactor or use the same one?

Help please! Any help will be well appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

if you got a heavy duty switch you could take the wires coming off teh cntactor to the sinch and have switches to switch from one winch to teh other. of you could take the same 2 wires going to the winch and have a plug that you can unplug the one going to the front winch and plug in the back one. that is the easiest way i can think of.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if its like a reg. warn switch theres only 3 wires red being the power switch that gives power to it and the other 2 wires on the contacter are for the in and out. as long as you had a regual heavy duty 3 way toggle (like sprint mentioned) being the middle is neutral and its spring loaded you could use it and it would have power all the time.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

I believe the Champion winch has a hand held in/out switch that handle. The hand held is capable the full load (Amps) and goes directly between the battery and the winch. This is similar to the old round grey twist style found on the old Warn 2000. In order to use the same rocker switch that is on your handlebar you need to purchase a solenoid. In the case of a Warn the solenoid is probably more than the Champion winch. I have two Winches on my bike with an Otto brand front / rear selector switch on the pod. I also installed another rocker switch just below back rack. This is an additional control point so when I'm standing beside the bike I can use the throttle, rock the bike and wind in the winch at the same time. The switch is also a handy way of rewinding once the jobs done. In short I have use the rear-mounted switch as much as the handle bar mounted unit.
In your case based on the cost of the solenoid I would hook it up with the hand held switch and maybe look at a bracket to hold in onto your bars or convenient when your driving and then be able to remove it and hold it in your hand for rear operation and rewind.
Totun

Old 09-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2 winches - same rocker switch"></title><script src=

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Totun

I believe the Champion winch has a hand held in/out switch that handle. The hand held is capable the full load (Amps) and goes directly between the battery and the winch. This is similar to the old round grey twist style found on the old Warn 2000. In order to use the same rocker switch that is on your handlebar you need to purchase a solenoid. In the case of a Warn the solenoid is probably more than the Champion winch. I have two Winches on my bike with an Otto brand front / rear selector switch on the pod. I also installed another rocker switch just below back rack. This is an additional control point so when I'm standing beside the bike I can use the throttle, rock the bike and wind in the winch at the same time. The switch is also a handy way of rewinding once the jobs done. In short I have use the rear-mounted switch as much as the handle bar mounted unit.

In your case based on the cost of the solenoid I would hook it up with the hand held switch and maybe look at a bracket to hold in onto your bars or convenient when your driving and then be able to remove it and hold it in your hand for rear operation and rewind.

Totun</end quote></div>

Anyone find a reasonable price for handlebar rocker switch and solenoid for a Champion winch?