Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008 | 11:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Gas Smell

Hey Fellows! I was wondering what will make gas spit out of the air intake tube while the filter is removed. Put my hand in front of the tube and had the machine running when i turned it off i had a lot of gas on my hand. It only ran for 20 sec. befoe i turned it off. Thanks for yall's help!!

Old 04-30-2008 | 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Default Gas Smell

Well first of all what kind of machine, make and model do you have?

I'll let others chime in here, but quite recently I just went thru my SP450
carb being gunked up, spitting, sputtering, cutting out and not able to
keep started w/o the choke and even with all of that I NEVER exp. any
gas coming out of the intake tube?

Are you sure it was gas and not oil? Like if you over spray a K&N filter too much, it will be too rich?
I am sure you know the diff, but something that does happen. I would be careful, don't
light that CIGARETTE, LOL. Learn whats going on before you ride next,
just to be safe!

R'

Old 04-30-2008 | 07:31 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Gas Smell

First off Im ridin a 2003 sportsman 400.STOCK (yep it sucks). Working on trying to change that.
I discovered this problem while I was looking to solve another one. Was trying to check all my wires for breaks and unconnected grounds, etc. for a fan problem.
Well when I opened the intake top to start dismantling, thats when I got the gas smell.

So I did what i said earlier. I read some other post , bout the needle sticking in the carb, but not sure how mine was all set up.

I have a manuel on the way from ebay (did I mention I love that Site)...haha
Wanting to lift it and throw tires on it to, but can't seem it keep, it going long enough to get that far. Yeah Rtickwad a relaxing smoke could turn fatal huh!!!! LOL
Thanks again for the comments.

D

Old 04-30-2008 | 07:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default Gas Smell

make sure all the vents are clear and not pinched. the if the float was sticking it would contuine to pour gas right out as it wouldnt shut off.

Old 04-30-2008 | 08:17 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Gas Smell

Thanks stendori when I get off today I'll check it out. Wanting to fix this before I buy my lift.
by the way wanting to put an Xtreme Products' Polaris lift system on have you heard anything on these. It seemed to be pretty good deal 2 hd springs for the rear and then the strut spacers. thanks

D

Old 04-30-2008 | 08:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gas Smell

Just checking to see how the fan problem worked out. Did you solve? I also want to comment on the lift. I have a Sportsman 500ho, at stock height and have 26 ITP tires and I put through some rough stuff and I useually don't have any ground clearance issues and can useally go deeper than others. I ride with a few lifted bikes and they get beat to death, duck under everthing, break axles, and they lose power after the big wheels leading to big bore kits then they give up on all the break downs and return back to stock therefore wasteing money. I out ride the competition every weekend "stock". Do what you like, like what you do, you only live once! Like I said just want to comment. Thanks

Old 04-30-2008 | 09:57 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Gas Smell

No i haven't solved the fan problem, in return now i have two problems. was exspoe to go to my deer lease today after work, but instead i had to cancel. will look at it when I get home and go from there. Wish me luck!!!!

Old 05-01-2008 | 06:57 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Gas Smell

Now that I fixed this problem, I believe it was my oil filter.
I flipped the 4-wheeler about two years ago in East Texas Gumbo Mud, and had to breakdown the bike to fix it then.
Well after three oil changes and a lot of time in the shed it finally got back online.

I found some red dirt sudue in the filter thats why i say that.
I drained the oil reservior and replaced it and put on new filter and inline air filter and it is running stronger than before.
Think i can finally invest in lift and tires, since everthing seeems to be working out(knockin on wood).. LOL

Thanks again for yalls help.
Happy and Safe Ridin!!!!!!!!