Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RticKwad

Has anyone tried the CARSLIE MUD WOLF tires yet?

R'</end quote></div>

I have 26" Mud Wolf's on my '04 ATP 500 HO. The I agree with gr8hntr - they have been a great tire so far. The Mud Wolfs on stock 12"x7" steel wheels are my winter set (I live in Minnesota) and Carlisle All Trails on 12"x7" ITP wheels are my summer set. (Mud Wolfs would mark up my lawn too much.) I use them for plowing snow (5' Glacier plow) and logging work in dense oak woods.

From what I can tell, the 26" Mud Wolfs are 25" tires with deeper treads. I had to add 1 1/8" spacers in the front, but I had no problems in the back. That means I had to replace the stock wheel studs with longer studs. I will need to swap studs in the back for the ITP wheels too.

The Mud Wolfs are great in any kind of snow - dry and light, hard and crusty, wet and slushy, etc. Just for fun, I drove around on the lake in &gt;12" of snow on top of slush with no problems. I saw a LOT less wheel spin than I saw with stock tires.

The only thing I wonder about would be the vibration from the DEEP tractor lugs on hard surfaces with low tire pressures (6 psi) at higher speeds. The treads meet in the middle, but outer lug ground contact with low pressures would offset the smoother center. For my uses, I don't care about vibration/ride on hard surfaces.

I can take pictures later if you want. We're in the middle of a snow storm now.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Range Rover

I know your looking for tires on sportmans but i put 27 inch carlisle mud wolf tires on my suzuki and they are very aggressive in the snow and mud it is a little different on hard pack though.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

I found the most complete list of online ATV tires here:
Quad Tire Reviews

However, the neither set of tires I bought were reviewed at this site. I bought Carlisle Mud Wolf and All Trail tires because they have the treads I need for what I use my ATP for here in Minnesota. I also found SUPER deals on Carlisle tires and others at Brutt Specialty Tires. They don't have every tire in every size in stock, but their prices are the best I found.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

My ATP is put away after plowing another 8" of snow. Here is a picture showing my "winter" set of 26" Carlisle Mud Wolfs:

Name:  IMG_1921.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  114.6 KB

Note my cardboard "bedliner". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I fill my chainsaws in the ATP bed, and the cardboard catches bar oil and mixed gas that spills or drips.

And here is a pic with one of my "summer" Carlisle All Trail tires and ITP wheels:

I am looking forward to spring just so I can put my nice wheels on.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Range Rover

I have 27 inch mud wolfs i use them all year they do seem to tear things up a little but they are actually smooth running at higher speeds

Old 02-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: shreker08

I have 27 inch mud wolfs i use them all year they do seem to tear things up a little but they are actually smooth running at higher speeds</end quote></div>

I chose Mud Wolfs because the lugs overlap in the center (unlike some other tires with tractor-like lugs) thinking they would be smoother on hard stuff at speed. Compare Mud Wolfs to the AMS Swamp Fox, ITP 589 M-S, Dunlop Quadmax, GBC Mud Shark, or the Innova Mud Gear. Gaps between lugs are what cause vibration. The bigger the gap between lugs, the more vibration you feel.

One reviewer said the vibration was so bad it blurred his vision. I think he was talking about the 589 M-S. Check the ATV Tire Review site I previously posted.

I have only used the Mud Wolfs on snow, so I wasn't sure how they would be hard surfaces at speed. I'm glad to hear the Mud Wolfs are smooth like I hoped.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Finally Had time to put my new wheels on

Old 05-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought my sportsman 700 twin on 28" highlighter outlaws and I don't mud ride on hard pack and road they were awful they were incredible in the soft fine Florida sand I traded them for 27" interco swamp lites 10" front 12" rear extra wide and I love the
No problems ever trails sand light mud water road smooth and dependable everywhere